• Vehicle Performance Planning

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by SchuminWeb

Yeah. I found it through Wikipedia. The information contained in it didn't surprise me, however.
  by Sand Box John

There are many documents of this nature on WMATA's web site that outline future rehabilitation and procurement plans.

We know what the primary proposes of the 7k procurement is:
  • Increase fleet size to accommodate the N route Silver line (126).
    Increase overall fleet size (220).
    Replace 1k cars (300).
The secondary proposes of the 7k procurement is to comply with the crash worthiness recommendation made by the NTSB.

This however is the first document that I have seen that outlines anything beyond the procurement of the 7k cars.

I happen to believe WMATA will learn that the life cycle of the 2 and 3k cars will be longer then the 1k cars because the 2 and 3k car design uses less of the car body to bear the weigh of the load then do the 1k cars. A also believe that in the end the 8k procurement will more then just a one for one replacement of the 366 2 and 3k cars.
  by SchuminWeb

Sand Box John wrote:I happen to believe WMATA will learn that the life cycle of the 2 and 3k cars will be longer then the 1k cars because the 2 and 3k car design uses less of the car body to bear the weigh of the load then do the 1k cars. A also believe that in the end the 8k procurement will more then just a one for one replacement of the 366 2 and 3k cars.
That's true, because one of the things that they did during rehab was to completely restructure the car body to make it more lightweight.