• V35 & V36

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by NorfolkSouthernSean

I saw these two locomotives in Norfolk Southern's Allentown, PA yard over the weekend. I know they just came out of rebuild from Juniata, but I can't find what they were rebuilt from. Both are former Amtrak units, but that's as far as I know. Anybody got where they came from? They're so new that VRE doesn't even have them listed yet.

by TallEddie_81

I don't know where they came from. But I do know that these units are being leased by VRE until VRE can buy some new loco's to replace their aging ones.

I am sort of disappointed to hear they are in PA. Every month VRE hosts an online forum to ask the CEO questions. We have been told every month for the last 4 months that the lease locomotives should be onsite in the next week or two. It appears it will be a little while longer until we see them.

Were you able to get any pics?

by NorfolkSouthernSean

They were buried in a string of power next to building when I saw them. I'm wondering if they are 2 of the Railworld F40PH's that were briefly leased to NJT that are sitting in storage in Altoona.

by CNJGeep

If you got the two RW F40s, bring an umbrella for all the oil that shall be rained upon you :-) Good luck with them!

by vreenthusiast01

are they painted in that new 4 stripe scheme (1 blue, two red, 1 blue) or are they like V33, which has the regular paint that's found on most of the older geeps?

waiting with baited breath to finally see some MPI power crossing the Potomac, the damn things better work

by HokieNav

They're at Ivy City as of yesterday - I only got a quick look through a gap, but it looked like the "old" paint scheme.

I'll go for a picture this afternoon.

by vreenthusiast01

thanks. i took the train in to DC (336 from Alexandria at 3:30), and V35 was on the north end. I think they had both of them on the same train, not sure why. they look beautiful.

now all i have to do is wait for the MP36's.

by davinp

here are pictures of V35 in Manassas
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoPi ... ?id=100547

It is an ex-Amtrak locomotive similar to V32 & V33.

Notice the picture of it in front of a cab car and their is another locomotive in the rear of the train.

by chuchubob

Here's a photo of V36 in Washington on May 6.

by vreenthusiast01

in those pictures of V35 at manassas, did they have both of them on the same train?
  by TallEddie_81

Last night V35 was at the rear of train 307. Maybe it will be in service soon. :-D
  by dmclement

V34 ex 294
V35 ex 311
V36 ex 316
  by davinp

TallEddie_81 wrote:Last night V35 was at the rear of train 307. Maybe it will be in service soon. :-D
According to the VRE chat today, both V35 and V36 are having electrical problems. Here is the transcript:

Ed from Fredericksburg asks:
Are the new leased locomotives in service yet? I noticed V35 was the lead locomotive on train 307 on monday. According to the daily download there were HEP problems with this train though. Are there still more kinks to work out, or are they in full service now?

VRE Management:
Yes. V35 and V36 are both having electrical problems. They should be in revenue service soon.
  by Literalman

I saw V35 in service a few days ago.

Steve Dunha,