• UTA MP36 Locomotives(010 and 011) Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by sery2831

Looks like a few units will be acquired in the near future from an operation in Utah(Frontrunner).

Today the MBTA Board approved the purchase of 4 MP36 locomotives and/or lease up to 7 MP36s locomotives.

Edit: The MBTA only purchased 2 units, UTA 13 and 14.
  by Eliphaz

so, where's the solicitation to submit a paint scheme design?
I saw the ones in the long thread, all excellent, how much more expensive would it be to get four (or seven) different paint schemes?
  by Matt Johnson

I don't quite understand the connection with Utah Frontrunner. Surely they don't have a surplus of MP36's? Are these going to be new builds, or are they buying second-hand from Frontrunner?
  by Hoopyfrood

Matt Johnson wrote:I don't quite understand the connection with Utah Frontrunner. Surely they don't have a surplus of MP36's? Are these going to be new builds, or are they buying second-hand from Frontrunner?
According to a short article at boston.com these are an option that was built into UTA's order, and the T would own some and lease some. These are probably going to be new builds though I would not be surprised if UTA sent one or two used ones in place of new ones for lease units. Not that they have too many miles on them so it's not a big deal anyway if they do.
  by octr202

I think UTA is still building some Frontrunner lines. Perhaps they're in a situation like Sound Transit in Seattle - motive power built and delivered before the lines to operate it on. Sound Transit leased equipment to Metrolink and VRE for some time before it all came home.

Could prove interesting - if it follows the same pattern, the leased units could operate here in UTA colors.
  by sery2831

Minnesota has leased one unit from them, and they operate it in the UTA paint scheme. If the T only goes the lease option I am sure it will be operated in the UTA scheme.
  by mxdata

These locomotives do exist, Utah has a number of units surplus to their present operating requirements, that were originally acquired for a service expansion that is not completed yet.

MX
  by sery2831

Here is the short article from Boston.com: http://www.boston.com/news/local/massac ... es?mode=PF
MBTA announces deal for new commuter locomotives

June 2, 2010

BOSTON --The MBTA is getting up to nine new commuter rail engines.

The locomotives will either be bought or leased from the Utah Transit Authority, and will mark the first time in 17 years that new locomotives will pull commuter trains.

The Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority said in a statement Wednesday the pending deal should improve service and reliability for commuters, while also cutting fuel costs. And 80 percent of the price will be funded by federal grants.

The engines are 3,600 horsepower, diesel electric locomotives.

The purchase price is $3.5 million each.

The MBTA had an option on an original 2005 procurement in Utah, so the locomotives are compliant with the MBTA's needs.
  by AEM7AC920

This will be interesting if the MBTA does not go with MPxoress for the complete new enigne order, the 4 units or so that they buy will be oddballs :wink: . Also just another note UTA has the MP36PH-3C vs MP36PH-3S which supplies hep like a screamer.
  by mxdata

The news story saying that UTA units are "compliant" with MBTA misses the little detail that UTA units were not built with Amtrak ACSES, and I don't recall UTA running cab signals either, so there is some additional equipment that would have to be procured and installed for UTA units to be made suitable for service on MBTA.

MX
  by Jersey_Mike

The news story saying that UTA units are "compliant" with MBTA misses the little detail that UTA units were not built with Amtrak ACSES, and I don't recall UTA running cab signals either, so there is some additional equipment that would have to be procured and installed for UTA units to be made suitable for service on MBTA.
It's a magic box that goes in the cab and an antenna. It's not hard to install.
  by Diverging Route

Here's NETransit's entry this morning:
On June 2, 2010, the MBTA Board of Directors approved the following:

“Authorization to purchase up to four (4) passenger service locomotives and/or lease up to seven (7) passenger service locomotives, or any combination thereof, from Utah Transit Authority, for an amount not to exceed $14,000,000”

The units are MP36PH-3C locomotives built for UTA by MPI. 11 units were built for UTA in 2007-2008, and 10 more were built in 2009-2010. Once a final agreement is reached, the first units could be in service on the North Side by fall 2010 after repainting and minor modifications. Units would need ACSES signal equipment installed for South Side service.