• Use of dynamic brake in passenger service

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

by DocJohn

How much did CNJ engineers use dynamic braking with FM TrainMaster and GP-40P locomotives when used in passenger service, particularly on what is now Raritan Valley line?

DocJohn

by prr7000

The CNJ trainmasters were built without dynamic brakes and as for the GP-40P's the distances between stations were so short that straight air operation was probably the norm. And I don't know when and who did it but during my tenure at NJ Transit (1989-1994) the dynamic brakes on these engines had long been disconnected so I'm willing to bet that they were seldom or never used. Hope that helps answer your question.

by geep39

Don't forget that the CNJ followed the policies of parent Reading. They couldn't justify the extra expense of dynamic brakes on an engine that (they thought) would spend its useful life in passenger service. Of course, such was not to be the case as passenger service declined.

GP40P's: One story said that they were financed by N&W and B&O, and if CNJ would belly-up, or discontinued passenger service altogether, they would be put into freight service on the financing roads.
  by DocJohn

Thank you for the info. One reason for my questions is that I have the Atlas HO model of CNJ 2410. The QSI sound system includes dynamic break sounds. If they are not prototypical, I can use that function for something else.

On the GP-40P engines, I was a regular rider on CNJ from Raitan to Dunellon from 10/73 to early 1975 when the National Starch R&D lab moved from Rock Ave. in Plainfield to the old J-M facility on Findern Avenue. I never heard the sounds I hear on GP-40s, etc., that I hear from the local freight when it comes down the hill to stop at the local B-K.