Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by doepack

Normally, this train is scheduled to run on Saturday night, leaving OTC at 1240am, and upon arriving at Geneva, the train turns to 5190 for a deadhead run back downtown. However, it's a little known fact that this train also runs on Sunday nights before a Monday holiday, and last night (12/25) was no exception when scanner chatter between Omaha Dispatcher 11 and commuter control confirmed that 519/5190 was on the schedule.

Since train 73 had left an hour earlier, I'm wondering if last night's "extra" 519 was even necessary, especially since it came through Wheaton around 1:20, 7 minutes early, with no passengers detraining at the Wheaton depot. Hell, it came back as 5190 about 15 minutes later, so I seriously doubt the train went all the way to Geneva. Plus, the crew for this train is based in Chicago, since they take the equipment back downtown, and although I don't know for sure, it's very likely this train pretty much ran empty, or very close to it. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to suggest that Metra could have done without running 519 last night...

by AMTK84

Agreed. I talked with the engineer on 519 last night before replying; the train did in fact run completely empty, so they elected to turn it at West Chicago. But he said since the schedule called for 519 to run they had no choice.