• UP 2 hour call time question

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by yuice20

In the hiring session they told us we had 2 hours to report to work but I was also confused on something else they said. This is for Chicago so he said if you get called in to work at joliet or rochelle that you can just drive to the proviso yard and hop a cab and they will take you up there? Is this standard procedure and can you always hitch a ride or is it on a case by case basis? Thanks
  by Engineer Spike

I never worked there, but where I have worked, this is the case. In your situation, Proviso is the main crew base. You have to deadhead to the others, like Rochelle. When you are called to work, you can ask for a cab from Proviso to Rochelle. If you decline, you would probably be able to claim the auto miles, for using your car. That is how it is on both railroads that I have worked for. You may or may not get an extra time on the call in addition to 2 hrs, for the travel time. This varies depending on the collective bargaining agreements.
  by yuice20

Thanks for the response. I was really hoping I would not have to drive to joliet and rochelle all the time so hearing that you have to deadhead is great. Thanks