Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by arcingcatenary

One of the things that annoys me to no end is when I am riding on an express run, lets say from Patchouge to Jamaica,we are going along at 80 MPH when all of a sudden we are making a station stop along the way to let an employee off.Granted its only a few seconds that we are stopped,but it is still a stop nonetheless.I have had this happen to me morning,afternoon and evening,on express runs.I believe that the least the crew can do is to announce that they are making an unscheduled stop to let a railroad employee off.I understand that the employees would rather be dropped off near where they live rather than go all the way back to Jamaica after working a long shift,especially in the off peak hours,but at the same time I also believe that if the passenger is either coming out from far East or going out East,if they are taking an express from Jamaica to Huntington,then they should be able to go from Jamaica to Huntington nonstop,the exception being natural delays i.e. congestion,broken switches,etc.

by DutchRailnut

your problem has no merrit , exept if the added employee stop would cause a delay to your express.
Your ticket only pays partialy for your transportation, not to have input on how LIRR runs the show.

by Paul

Years back when I was working for Conrail, we were having one of the worst snow storms in years. It was my Friday and I wasn't going to get home in the conventional way so I called my then girlfriend to meet me at the train station in Amsterdam, NY with the 4X4 Blazer that she had. She was waiting about an hour when the local constables arrived to see what she was doing at a train station at 1 in the morning. She simply told them she was waiting for her boyfriend who would be arriving by train and that he (me) should be along at any moment. Of course this was met with a certain degree of skepticism from the local law enforcement officials who decided to give her the once over to see if she had been drinking. Well, here comes a big Conrail train with a bunch of big locomotives pulling up to the Amsterdam station at about 1:15 in the morning and making a stop for me to get off. I trudge through the snow as the train whistles off into the snowy abyss over to the Blazer and the police who are giving me the most dumbfound look on their faces. I figured out immediately what was going on and said to the cop with the dumbest expression I have ever seen and I most sarcastically (and very loudly) said to him "Well, haven't you ever seen a vice president of a railroad before?"
They cut her loose in a hurry with a duffle bag full of apologies and when we got in the Blazer she turns and says to me..."Don't ever ask me to do this again."
  by kro52

ArcingCatenary........Get Over It!

KRO52

by Marty Feldner

Paul-

I'm still laughing!!!

Love it...

by dukeoq

Arcingcat, do you pay extra fare to ride "Express"?
No?
Then what's your complaint?
JJ Earl
  by Head-end View

Arc: Are you sure it's an employee who is getting off? In some cases it might be a passenger who got on the wrong train, thinking that it stopped at that station. Sometimes the conductor will get the dispatcher's permission to make a brief stop to "key off" (opening a single door leaf) the lost customer, instead of making him ride many more miles, and then have to double back.
  by Liquidcamphor

Is it possible that they were stopping to let passengers off at unscheduled stops, that mistakenly had taken the express thinking it was a local?

Last night, on our express, we stopped three times to let people off who thought it was a local. We didn't have to, but in order to be nice and do what we thought was right, we did anyway. It happens everyday, so I'm inclined to believe maybe that is what happened. Especially on express trains. If that is so, do you still have a complaint?

by arcingcatenary

Good Point Head-end,I did not even think about that.Its just one of those little insignifcant things that annoy me.
The thing that really anoys me to no end though (this happens on the way to Montauk Qute a bit)is that the conductor will announce the station coming up,the cars that will be opening up,even the car number,and some morons miss thier stop because they are not paying attention,and they proceed to blame the conductor,whn it was thier own fault.

by arcingcatenary

Luquidcamphor,Absolutely I still have a complaint.It is up to the passengers to Pay attention to what is going on,If they dont know,ask.
In all of my 37 years of living I have been on many railroads and subway systems across the country.NOT ONCE,have I ever been lost or missed the train that I was supposed to be on,because I made it a point to pay extra attention.