• UK query

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

by Station Aficionado

I will be in London later this month, and will likely be traveling to Glasgow. I know the most direct route is London Euston to Glasgow. But, with time not being of the essence (just need to get to Glasgow same day I leave London) and cost not a factor (because I'll be using a railpass), I thought Kings Cross to Edinburgh to Glasgow might be a feasible alternative. Is one route more scenic than another, or does one route have some other advantage (besides time)? Or is there some other alternative I have not considered? (Note: plane, bus and car are not valid alternatives here--I want to go by train).

Thanks.
  by george matthews

Station Aficionado wrote:I will be in London later this month, and will likely be traveling to Glasgow. I know the most direct route is London Euston to Glasgow. But, with time not being of the essence (just need to get to Glasgow same day I leave London) and cost not a factor (because I'll be using a railpass), I thought Kings Cross to Edinburgh to Glasgow might be a feasible alternative. Is one route more scenic than another, or does one route have some other advantage (besides time)? Or is there some other alternative I have not considered? (Note: plane, bus and car are not valid alternatives here--I want to go by train).

Thanks.
Let me assure you that unlike some others on the forum (they know who they are) I would not dream of advising you to fly.

There are in fact several routes (or at least train companies) to Scotland but the two main routes are, as you have noticed, the East and West Coast routes. They are run by different companies. The west coast is mainly Virgin Trains which uses Pendolino trains, a tilting train. The East Coast is currently nationalised as the previous franchisees went bankrupt (twice). They run the last British Rail built trains (Mark 4 coaches) with a locomotive.

I have to say that I haven't been in either type of train as I haven't been doing long distance for sometime. Both routes are electrified. Some Crosscountry trains are unfortunately diesel under the wires but if you are starting from London you probably won't see those. I noticed their trains are a bit cramped with too many seats per carriage and not enough leg room. I experienced their DMU from Bournemouth to Wolverhampton three weeks ago on a trip to Wales.

The East Coast has some interesting views in the north, such as passing Durham,, when you look down on the Cathedral and Castle from a high embankment, later there is the entry to Newcastle and some interesting bridges. After Newcastle comes the most spectacular part with views of the North Sea and the Royal Border Bridge at Berwick on Tweed where you pass into Scotland. The southern part of the East Coast route has some fast patches including the site of the steam locomotive achieving 125 MPH in the 1930s.

The west coast has interesting scenery too. For example after Crewe you pass across the Manchester Ship Canal on a high bridge, and after Preston you have some views of the Irish sea. Then after Carlisle there is interesting hill country as you pass Lockerbie. (Read the poem by W H Auden - the Night Mail).

Of course I recommend Edinburgh (very busy for the next few weeks with the Festival). I was at university there and so know it quite well. Some east coast trains go through Edinburgh to Glasgow. However, some don't and you may have to change trains in Edinburgh Waverly - a magnificent station well worth seeing.
Of course there is also the Sleeper train which I have found quite pleasant in the past (more than 30 years ago). That leaves Euston and you can book to Glasgow. Unlike Amtrak the sleeper is not expensive and you can pay a supplement on your pass. I have used it several times.

If you want to go to the north of Scotland I can recommend the trains to Fort William or Inverness (or indeed, Aberdeen). Except for the sleeper these are nearly all DMUs these days but still worth doing. The scenery is breathtaking. There is sometimes a steam train from Fort William to Mallaig.
Last edited by george matthews on Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Station Aficionado

Thank you, Mr. Matthews. That's very helpful. I do plan to go further north in Scotland from Glasgow (much cheaper to stay there than Edinburgh this month!), but am not sure whether it will be toward the West Coast or the East Coast.
  by george matthews

Station Aficionado wrote:Thank you, Mr. Matthews. That's very helpful. I do plan to go further north in Scotland from Glasgow (much cheaper to stay there than Edinburgh this month!), but am not sure whether it will be toward the West Coast or the East Coast.
Of course you can stay in Glasgow (my late mother's home city) and take the four times an hour train to Edinburgh. That line is planned to go electric but I don't think they have started yet. The frequent trains go from Glasgow Queen Street. Less frequent electric trains go from Glasgow Central - also the main station for London.

I forgot to mention that some trains on the East Coast are diesel - HST125. These are East Coast trains for going beyond Edinburgh to Aberdeen.

25 years ago I had a pass (bought in Saudi before coming home) and travelled to the far north (Thurso) and Penzance in the same two weeks. The highland lines are worth seeing. Fort William to Mallaig is good (sometimes steam, but you'd pay extra). From Inverness you can go to Kyle of Lochalsh for the Isle of Skye, and also to Wick and Thurso in the far north.

Throughout railway history the east and west coast routes have similar times. There is little difference in time. Consult Trainline. http://www.thetrainline.com/buytickets/?

Don't forget to look at Trainline for booking seats.
  by george matthews

After checking with trainline I see that the west coast route is faster to Glasgow. I also note that the sleeper is causing people to get out somewhere other than Glasgow, perhaps for some engineering reason. If you take the sleeper it might be better to book to Edinburgh, have breakfast in Waverley, and then go on by a regular local train.
Checking again, it's the 23.50 train that is direct to Glasgow.
Last edited by george matthews on Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by David Benton

I would go up the east coast to York (railway musuem ) , inlad to settle , settle to carlisle railway (spectacular) , then carlisle to Glasgow .
In scotland , i would recomend the mallaig line , and the kyle of lockash . i found the wick and thurso lines to be relatively boring . you can bus acroos the isle of skye to join the 2 routes together , but the mainland is more interesting and worth doubling back on these 2 deadend routes .
  by george matthews

David Benton wrote:I would go up the east coast to York (railway musuem ), inland to Settle , Settle to Carlisle railway (spectacular), then Carlisle to Glasgow .
In Scotland , i would recommend the Mallaig line , and the Kyle of Lochalsh. i found the Wick and Thurso lines to be relatively borin . you can bus across the isle of Skye to join the 2 routes together, but the mainland is more interesting and worth doubling back on these 2 deadend routes .
In 1976 I arrived at Mallaig off the sleeper from London, found a boat ready to leave for Kyle and then took the Kyle train to Dingwall where I stayed in a B&B before going on to Wick. Actually I find that line quite interesting.

(I first travelled on the Kyle line in 1953 when it was steam).
  by Station Aficionado

David Benton wrote:I would go up the east coast to York (railway musuem ) , inlad to settle , settle to carlisle railway (spectacular) , then carlisle to Glasgow .
In scotland , i would recomend the mallaig line , and the kyle of lockash . i found the wick and thurso lines to be relatively boring . you can bus acroos the isle of skye to join the 2 routes together , but the mainland is more interesting and worth doubling back on these 2 deadend routes .
Thanks, Mr. Benton. I'm thinking we'll go up one coast, and come back down the other.
  by ExCon90

Station Aficionado: Did you go, and what did you decide on?
  by Station Aficionado

ExCon90 wrote:Station Aficionado: Did you go, and what did you decide on?
I did indeed. My report on my trip is in this thread: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 49&t=74794