• Turboliners Move

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by liftedjeep

liftedjeep wrote:Per a fairly reliable source, rumor has it that the 2nd Turboliner set may be moved north this Thursday or Friday. NFI
Ben
It's sounding like the move will take place this Thursday night/evening (1/18). I'll post any other info I receive.
Ben
  by Matt Johnson

Thanks! Sadly, I have to work so I won't be trackside at Princeton Junction waiting for 'em. Happy hunting railfans!
  by liftedjeep

Well good news Matt....
I've been informed that the move tomorrow has been scrubbed, and postponed until next week. Not sure why.

Stay tuned...
Ben
  by rohr turbo

In a move like this, are the brakes on the Turboliner cars active? Or is all the braking provided by just the towing and trailing locomotives?
  by DutchRailnut

normally they would be fully operative, if a move were made as hospital train (no brakes) the speed could not exceed restricted speed .
( 20 mph on straight rail, 15 MPH in interlockings)
  by trainster78

If only it takes the weekend then there will be everyone (including me) there to see it. I've never actually seen a Turboliner before, so I'm hoping I can this time..
  by Noel Weaver

DutchRailnut wrote:normally they would be fully operative, if a move were made as hospital train (no brakes) the speed could not exceed restricted speed .
( 20 mph on straight rail, 15 MPH in interlockings)
My guess is that these things were in a secure storage location and all that needed to be done was to up-date the air brakes. At the speeds that I saw in a video or two it appeared that they were going at a reasonable speed so I suspect the air brakes were fully operable in tow. If it had been a hospital train with in-operative air brakes you would have seen the entire train broken up with a bunch of freight cars with operative air brakes cut in between the B/O cars. Then it would have been a slow boat to China situation and probably in the dead of night hours as well. I know some of you liked the turbo cars but the new cars on Brightline here in Florida are light years ahead of the turbo cars. I suspect it would cost a lot of money to repair and or restore the turbo cars. Next stop NAPARANO.
Noel Weaver
  by liftedjeep

The first Turboliner move was delayed a day or two because there was as issue with the Turboliner's air brake system. This leads me to believe that the brakes were in operating condition throughout the move. The max speed for the journey up the NEC was restricted to 30mph.
Ben
  by David Benton

scratchy wrote:Judas Priest wrote a tune about how much they liked the Turboliners.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhY9GOhFwN4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Probably quite appropriate given the introduction of turbo motorbikes in the 80's was not that successful.
  by Matt Johnson

Noel Weaver wrote:I know some of you liked the turbo cars but the new cars on Brightline here in Florida are light years ahead of the turbo cars. I suspect it would cost a lot of money to repair and or restore the turbo cars.
That would be of significance if New York got some Brightline sets for the Hudson route!
  by Tadman

Now that would be a smart move. I would much enjoy seeing such on the Detroit runs as well. Basically that's what we'll have given the new Siemens cars coming and the Chargers power, but the Amtrak Chargers look like a nose without a face.
  by JamesRR

Saw the Turboliner set at the Brunswick Maintenance facility this past Thursday.
  by planespotting

Passed by Adams Yard today. Not much new since Ben’s exclusive pics but below is a link to a few shots I took.

https://imgur.com/a/qZxsr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;