• Troubleshooting dead spots on the track

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by jdelgrosso

Yo, how do I get rid of dead spots. I used to get rid of em by brushing a womens nail filer in the top, but I get the idea that this is damaging the track. Any other ways to take care of this?

by jdelgrosso

Actually, know what? It's not really a "dead spot". It's more like, the train goes and then it stops, I can hear the wheels moving, and it makes this high pitched whining noise. But the actual train won't move.

by Throttle_JCKY

from the last response, sounds more like a short to me. The high pitched sound is the current shorting itself. You need to look and see if anything is trading current where it shouldn't.
Is this close to a switch?
If it is, then you need to look close around the switch, as shorts occur in the most hard to find areas.

The other issue, don't use an emory board on the rail. Take a small block of wood, get a few sections of paper towel, dip the towel in 91% Iso alcohol, the rub over the rail , then take a dry towel and whip up the mess, repeat as needed, this will work well on the grime that builds and won't scratch the rail head.

As a suggestion, add feeders roughly every 6 feet or less. This will help with keeping the rails close to full power.

by Otto Vondrak

And of course, spin your locomotive wheels on a towel soaked in alcohol... keep spinning them until you dont see black streaks anymore.

-otto-

by jwb1323

The poster says he can hear the (presumably loco) wheels moving. That says something is making the loco hang up, probably a coupler downdrop-thingy, depending on what kind of couplers he's using. I would look for a switch where the closure rail is catching a coupler downdrop-thingy. Then I would check and see which coupler might be causing the problem and correct the coupler height, possibly with a washer between the truck and the bolster, or by some other repair to the equipment if the coupler box lid is loose, for instance.

by jdelgrosso

O.k, here are a few difinitions I need.

Truck
Bolster
Feeders

Thanks!

by jwb1323

The truck is the swivel assembly below the car's chassis that contains the wheels.

A bolster is the component on the chassis to which the truck attaches, usually via a screw. There are two bolsters on a typical car, one at each end.

A feeder is a piece of wire that carries track power to the rail.

by Throttle_JCKY

As jwb1323 said,
Check and make sure you don't have something hanging up on the track.

If you rule that out, go to Radio Shack and buy a voltmeter. They sell em pretty cheap and you can use them on other things too.
Check the so called deadspot for the voltage, make sure your current is on, and check the area all around it.

Also, like Otto said, take a towel and get it wet, lay it over the rail and do one set of trucks on a locomotive at a time, keep doing it til you get the dirt off!

by jdelgrosso

O.k, I'm doing that now. thanks!