• trolley spotting help

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by lb101

My mom and her boy friend are going to open a restaurant in the next couple of months themed around trolley and they have asked me to go out and get some shots for the walls of the restaurant. Due to the fact that the there are no trolleys on long island I need some help in finding them. Does anyone know any good spots close by train so I can get some pictures for them?

by pennsy

You don't even have to go anywhere for photos of vintage trolleys and modern LRV's. Just surf the net and save the photos that you like. Then print them out etc. and lo and behold you have all the photos you need.

by lb101

I really do not find that to be fair because those photographers work hard to get those shot and I would not like to rip their photos off. But also I would like to see what I could do with trolleys because I am a great rail photographer.

by pennsy

Are you looking for trolley photos or a career ???

I was trained by a professional photographer, and I still appreciate photos off the Internet.

by Gerry6309

For vintage trolleys in presentable condition, you can go to Boston (PCCs and modern light rail), Philadelphia (PCC2s and and modern light rail), Baltimore(museum cars and modern light rail), East Haven(museum cars), and the National Capital Museum(museum cars). Further away but recommended are the operating systems in New Orleans & San Francisco, several vintage lines in smaller cities, and other museums such as Seashore (Kennebunkport, ME), IRM (Union, IL), Orange Empire (near Riverside, CA), Western (Rio Vista Jct., CA), and several smaller ones. Of course if you can deal with only modern stuff, there are several lines in New Jersey. I have never visited Trolley Museum of New York in Kingston, but it is a possibility. The Transit Museum in NYC (Brooklyn and GCT) has vintage pictures for sale also.

Stuff from the internet is ok, as long as you credit the original photographer and the source.

by Otto Vondrak

pennsy wrote:You don't even have to go anywhere for photos of vintage trolleys and modern LRV's. Just surf the net and save the photos that you like. Then print them out etc. and lo and behold you have all the photos you need.
Man, if I found my photos hanging on your wall in your restaurant, I'd be drawing up invoices and demanding payment! ;-) Careful about "downloading." Also, everything on the web is lo-res and not suitable for printing.

-otto-
  by Otto Vondrak

lb101 wrote:My mom and her boy friend are going to open a restaurant in the next couple of months themed around trolley and they have asked me to go out and get some shots for the walls of the restaurant. Due to the fact that the there are no trolleys on long island I need some help in finding them. Does anyone know any good spots close by train so I can get some pictures for them?
You're on Long Island? If you want to see real trolleys running, you can go to Philly (Route 15) or Boston (Mattapan Line). If you want to see "modern" trolleys, you can take a short trip to Hoboken and Newark- they have LRV lines that you can ride and photograph. But LRV's don't have the same charm as older trolleys... if you really want to see older cars, take a drive to East Haven, CT and visit the Shore Line Trolley Museum. The Kingston Trolley Museum actually has no operating trolleys.

-otto-

by lb101

I am looking for pictures spots but I have also made a career out of my photography because I do sell my shots and try to make some college money in order to survive. Over the years I have found myself selling aviation and railway photography and I know how it feels to find my photos being copied. Thanks for some of the spots and I think I might take a ride to Philly. Also is there any way to get to the Connecticut trolley museum by rail?

by walt

You can also visit the Electric City Trolley Museum in Scranton ( a real nice representative collection of a number of the car types that operated in and around Philly) and, if you want to travel to Western Pa, the Rockhill Museum-- again a nice representative sampling of Philadelphia area cars, including the only operating Brill Bullet Car ( No 205-- it now has trolley poles).

by Noel Weaver

The Shore Line Trolley Museum in East Haven is accessible by city bus
from the New Haven Station. Go to Connecticut Transit to find out the
schedule, you will have to change buses at the New Haven Green in the
area of Church and Chapel in downtown New Haven. Saturday, April 26th
is "members day" and they will have all sorts of cars running on that day.
If you spend the day there for that event, you should be able to get all of
the pictures that you want of lots of rare old trolley cars.
Here is a link to the bus service between New Haven and East Haven on
weekends.

http://www.cttransit.com/content/pdfs/n ... nsched.pdf

Noel Weaver

by Lincoln78

Also consider the Connecticut Trolley Museum in East Windsor. It is a few miles from the Windsor Locks Amtrak station.