Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by BMT

Greetings all! The weather is getting warmer, the garments are getting shorter, and it stays lighter later....what it all means is that the Annual Trip to the Beaches of Rock and Long is around the corner.

Date: Friday, June 29
Meeting Place (5:30): Penn Station 8th Avenue Line Express platform @ Train Operator's Position (head-end)
Meeting Place (6:00): Jay Street/Boro Hall Queens-bound A train platform @ Train Operator's Position (head-end)

Intinerary: We will ride the first Far Rockaway-bound consist of R-32/38 cars to arrive before 6:15. Will ride out to the last stop, Far Rockaway/Mott Ave. Transfer to the N33 bus and ride to the last stop which puts us in Long Beach. Walk two blocks to the Sui Szechuan Resturant on Park Ave (main boulevard, across from Waldbaum's supermarket and mall). Will dine there and later walk the boardwalk (weather permitting). Participants have the option of returning via N33 bus > Far Rockaway A train or taking LIRR citybound. Those that live on LI may opt for local Nassau County bus service to points north and east.

Hope to see you there!

Doug (BMT)

by pennsy

Hey BMT,

Even as an ex-Brooklynite, I remember that the quickest way to get to the Long Beach beaches is with the LIRR. Take it to the Long Beach train, and to the last stop in Long Beach. You will be two blocks from the Beach. As I remember it, that beach is NOT free. You have to pay to get in it, during the summer months. Winter months are free.

On the other hand, if you take the Far Rockaway train, the IND, you have several stops that are a short walk to the Beach. And all along the route are places to eat and meet. At the Mott ave station, my old Hang Out, I was also a Far Rockaway boy, there are several types of great food available from Chinese to Italian. All great. All of the Far Rockaway beaches are free, and the boardwalk usually has concessions on it for fast foods etc. For the Rockaway Park fellas, you can take that train to Beach 116th st. and have the same choices, including a Nathan's Famous Hot Dog restaurant. And that is the place for Irish food. And again, those beaches are free and a short walk from the station.

by BMT

We've been doing these trips for several years now.

The way we do it is bi-annual. Technically speaking, we have one at the beginning of summer, usually just prior to the fourth of July, and then one at the other end of summer, usually late Sept.

The group started out as like-minded subway/commuter train buffs from a website called SubTalk (later SubChat) that live in the NYC area. It gives us a chance to meet up and talk shop, talk turkey, or talk trash. A fun group. :-D

by BMT

Word is that the Sui Szechuan restaurant is closed and so is the Wendy's (across from the Long Beach LIRR station). The trip is still on as planned.

The food stop may end up being Zamboni's (good hero sandwiches) or the Ocean Park Diner.

Weather should be EXCELLENT since storms later tonight will cool things off for tomorrow.

Hope to see you there!

by pennsy

Hi BMT,

Couple of requests; Let me know what the current charge is per person to enter the beach, and how about a full report on the trip.

As I remember it, near the ramp going up to the boardwalk, on the East side, heading towards the hotels, there are some concessions with good food. The one that comes to mind is a seafood shop that specialized in clams on the half shell. One of my favorite spots, good beer too.