• Trip Report 6/27 Train 1135

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by ElTrain

I rode Amtrak for the 1st time in years last Saturday. After enjoying the Trenton Tunder minor league baseball game, I hopped on the Amtrak to return home to DC. The Trenton trains station is a shame. The outside is dingy and traffic control is weak at best. Inside was not much better - fairly dirty. The QuikTrak machines were a breeze, though. I expected to get the 7PM train but the 6:43 was 20 minutes late and I boarded that. The train was mostly full and pulled by an AEM-7 (I believe). I sat in the club car in a very spacious seat! I was very impressed by the comfort of the seat and the ride in general. The conductor was friendly and efficient. The trip rolled smoothly south to DC until we hit the yard. Not more than 300 yards from the platform the brake hose broke and we stopped for 10 minutes. We rolled slowly into the station until it broke again. We were now within spitting distance of the platform yet had to wait another 10 minutes for repair.

I'm not sure of what to make of all this. I think the bottom line is that there is an mix of good and bad with Amtrak. My feeling is that the potential for improvment is huge. I've driven the 95/NJTP corridor many times and it was a relief to not have to deal with traffic/speeders/etc. At $67, its not practical for me to take the train regularly though.

I look forward to riding Amtrak again, though.

by mattfels

If it's just about the money, then ride SEPTA's R7 line to PHL. Board Amtrak train 135 there and ride to Aberdeen, MD. Then take MARC's Penn Line to Washington Union Station. Pay $7 (fare zone 6) on SEPTA, $34 on Amtrak, $10 on MARC--save $16.

by queenlnr8

Hmmm, I think that the $16 savings would make up for a three seat ride. Sometimes, Amtrak is the only option for train travel, ie later night transport.

by mattfels

Whoops, I left one out. It gets better:
TRE-PHL: SEPTA R7, $7.00
PHL-NRK: SEPTA R2, $4.25 off peak
NRK-ABE: Amtrak 135, $13.00
ABE-WAS: MARC, $10.00

Total $34.25

Sometimes it's about convenience, as queenlnr8 rightly points out. But sometimes it's about the money. If 3-4 legs is too complicated--and I can see how it could be--just mix 'n match in a different way. The point is that economy-minded travelers can and should use their local/regional transit options to complement the Amtrak service. Travel is good. If $32.75 is the difference between going and not going, I say go.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Huh? That one is not in my timetable.

Delays and inconveniences can happen with all transportation, public and private.

Somehow, I dont think I wish to be "navigating" the NJ Turnpike's Exit 1 this weekend, even though I understand improvements have been made to the toll plaza there.

Of course, for those of you in the Washington area, I can recall "navigating" the (then circa 1965) single span Bay Bridge en route from "DC to Rehoboth" - that was sport!

But I'm pleased to learn. Mr. Eltrain, you feel you got value for your $$$$$. For, when I'm in the Northeast, I always think I do.

Lastly, I guarantee you, I'm not about to deal with three different passenger agencies to "save a buck" traveling in the Corridor.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

by ElTrain

I absolutely feel like I received value for my money. Its not all about the money. I was trying to make the point that Amtrak is not affordable (for me at least) to use on a regular basis. Either way, I'd certainly pay the extra $16 and take a one-seat ride.

Are hose problems common? On what % of trips do they occur? Is it due to the chronic underfunding of Amtrak?
  by cbaker

The alternative travel arrangement described by Mr. Fels is not completely possible on weekends and federal holidays.

I believe SEPTA service between Philadelphia and Delaware does not operate on weekends (Sundays, at least) and the MARC service in Maryland does not operate anywhere on Saturdays, Sundays or federal holidays.

Saving all that money vs. Amtrak fares can only be truly realized on a weekday.

by mattfels

I appreciate the clarifications. My goal is to encourage economy-minded travelers to use transit to bring Amtrak travel within range more often. The 4-leg itinerary is merely the most extreme example. No one at Amtrak is offended if you ride from Trenton to Philly on SEPTA--especially if that means you ride Amtrak more often.

by EastCleveland

mattfels wrote:Whoops, I left one out. It gets better:
TRE-PHL: SEPTA R7, $7.00
PHL-NRK: SEPTA R2, $4.25 off peak
NRK-ABE: Amtrak 135, $13.00
ABE-WAS: MARC, $10.00

Total $34.25
Add "NYP-TRE: NJ Transit, $10.40" to the beginning of the above itinerary, and the truly dedicated can travel from New York to Washington D.C. for $44.65.

[And for the even more truly dedicated and/or cash strapped: it's possible to travel to Our Nation's Capital all the way from Portland, Maine, using the above railroads plus the MBTA, Shore Line East, Metro-North, and the New York City subway system].

by queenlnr8

... Also remember that there are not just the budget conscious travellers out there, but the 'Screw the time, lets take the senic route' traveller.

This can include the RailFan or the person who enjoys the ride and the excitement of trying to make connections along with seeing many different parts of the country not seen on Amtrak.