• Trespasser hit by GRS freight train

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by MEC407

A man from Augusta was hit by a Guilford freight train yesterday in the town of Belgrade while fishing from a railroad bridge.

You can read the rest of the story at this web site:

http://www.wmtw.com/Global/story.asp?S= ... v=7k6rNstA

by mainecentral

It's too bad that "Common Sense" is not so common anymore :( .

by MEC407

Indeed. And just think of how much worse it would have been if Guilford were a 40-60MPH railroad, like most other railroads in this country.
  by NellsChoo

Is the man "still with us", or not? Probably figured the tracks aren't used anymore...

by jfturner

The victim/trespasser died from his injuries.

Now go back and read the article carefully. The facts are (and as stated) the two of them saw the train coming with time to react. They kept on fishing thinking the train would pass behind them with room between themselves, the train and the edge of the bridge. They did not take into account that all freight cars and engines are WIDER than the 4'-8" gauge of the tracks.

So this miscalculation led them to believe they could stay on the bridge as the train passed by. The train did not sneak up on them, and I am sure the crew gave plenty of warning.

by TPR37777

Now jfturner YOU go back and read the article again. The man lost his balance as the train passed by, there is no implication that he misjudged the width of the train.
  by OHanrahan

It's funny when people stress the word 'trespasser' when talking about somebody getting hit by a train. The poor bastard was fishing off a trestle and got plucked by the train. I'm sure he was somewhat aware of the danger he was facing by trespassing on railroad tracks. For every 'trespasser' that gets hit by a train 500,000 don't. I guess what i'm trying to say is: not getting out of the way of the train was his problem, not the actual 'trespassing.'
  by Noel Weaver

I totally disagree with the previous, TRESPASSING WAS/IS THE PROBLEM.
If you stay off the tracks, there is no way that you will be hit by a train.
Railroad bridges are private property, they are for trains and not for
fishermen/fisherwomen.
I suppose the "jokers" survivors will now sue the railroad and maybe
collect for this.
You wonder why the railroads do not like trespassers and in some cases
railfans too? Not very hard to figure this one out.
Noel Weaver
  by OHanrahan

I agree completely with why the railroads don't want people on their property what with rediculous lawsuits and all but I was speaking on a more personal level. The man who was killed over by Fenway the other night was walking towards the train that hit him. Either this was a suicide or this same character would just as soon walk out into the middle of Comm. Ave. without noticing heavy traffic. Even though technically you are "breaking the law" by trespassing on railroad property, it's not like your suction cupping your way up the side of the Hancock building. It's really not that dangerous. If you walked the tracks from Porter Sq. to the Galleria mall, I'm sure you are less likely to be killed than if you walk busy city streets from Porter Sq. to the Galleria mall. I've spent some time 'trespassing' on railroad property to railfan and all and although I recognize that accidents do happen to the best of us, it's not easy to get hit by a train if you're trying to avoid that. You said, "If you stay off the tracks, there is no way that you will be hit by a train." Isn't that specious reasoning that can be applied to almost any accident that can occur on Earth?
  by Noel Weaver

Trespassing on railroad property is NOT responsible railfanning in my
opinion. Put yourself in the poor engineer's shoes coming down on some-
one on the track and knowing that he/she cannot stop the train. Believe
me it is not a pleasant feeling.
Noel Weaver

by Robert Paniagua

That's right Noel. Trespassing means a whole different meaning than railfanning. Railfanning means to do it from a safe area, especially a public area or a train station platform. So yes, it definitely AIN'T a good idea to walk on railway tracks, offenders are prosecuted too.
  by OHanrahan

yes, i understand this and agree that it is certainly not the engineers fault when somebody or some thing is struck by his train. I was simply saying that if i tresspass into your yard and dive head first into the shallow end of your pool and snap my neck, I still broke my neck because i dove head first into your pool, not because i tresspassed. Anyway, I'll get executed for mentioning this non railroad related story but there was a case where kids broke into an auto dealers yard and had a crash-derby. They were arrested but then sued the dealership for not having good enough security to keep them out of the car lot. The parents were totally on the side of their little brat kids. Also, a man jumped in front of a NY subway train and lived only to press charges. Well that was railroad related. Anyway, "When America Unleashed the Lawsuit" is a good book and does a good job explaning why companies don't want people on their property.

etc

by Noel Weaver

I have nothing more to say on this, the incident happened months ago and
I believe it is time to "put this to sleep".
Moderator, are you listening????
Noel Weaver
  by MEC407

Noel Weaver wrote:
Moderator, are you listening????
Yes, I am. Is there something you'd like to say?

etc

by Noel Weaver

I said it is time to put this "to sleep"
In other words, it is time to lock this one.
This is about an incident that took place back in June.
Further chatter about this is not going to accomplish anything.
Noel Weaver