• Trespasser got hit by train, Chili, NY

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by sd80mac

I saw a vague news report saying that train hit a lady somewhere near Scottsville rd. And that Paul rd is shut down. I believe that the news were 2 days ago (Wednesday)?

Anyone know anything about that? I would guess that it's CSX, not RS..
  by dj_paige

http://www.whec.com/news/person-struck- ... i/4282442/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Emergency crews say a woman has been struck and killed by a train in Chili.

Investigators say a CSX train conductor called for help around 2 Wednesday morning. According to deputies, a woman in her eighties was struck by the train. Deputies say she was lying on the tracks and that the incident does not appear suspicious at this time.

CSX officials say the freight train was carrying manufacturing goods and was headed to Chicago.
  by BR&P

According to on-line local news a couple days ago, the woman was in her 80's, it happened in the middle of the night I believe near Scottsville Road. She was lying on the track and police did not suspect foul play. Image I have heard no further follow-up, which is not surprising for these parts.

My thoughts go out to her and also to the crew and first responders who had to be there.

Topics like this don't usually last long before they get locked, so we now return to unicorns and rainbows and what color paint is on the next locomotive to come along.

EDIT - looks like DJPaige can type faster than I can! :wink:
  by sd80mac

That's strange for someone at that age to be out there at that hour. That's really sad.
  by lvrr325

The way it's described makes it sound like a suicide. Not much you can do about that.
  by AgentSkelly

lvrr325 wrote:The way it's described makes it sound like a suicide. Not much you can do about that.
I was thinking more of someone with a memory issue based upon the age...
  by SST

Its probably a bit of both age and memory. Kinda speculating here but she may have recognized that she was deteriorating and decided to pull her own plug instead of rotting over a long time in a "home" waiting for a nurses aid to "clean up" after her. I watched my dads 3 year run at a home.......not a nice thing to face.

I'm sure the crew is effected by this but maybe they can take a viewpoint that they helped her escape from "the home." I hope I go fast instead of a long term care home.