Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by JLJ061

I'm planning on visiting NYC and ride the MTA for the very first time this weekend between Penn Station and Flushing, Queens.

Judging by their website I can transfer between the E and 7 Lines either at Times Square or Jackson Park. Which is the best transfer point between the lines?

Also since I'm also planning on visiting Ground Zero, does the E Line still stop in that vicinity?

Thanks for your help!

by Lirr168

-Times Sqaure, definitely go there. It is all underground, whereas out in Queens the (7) runs as an elevated and the (E) is still underground.

-Take the (E) to the last stop, the WTC site is only a few block walk. It was been a while since I was down there, but it's fairly close.

by Jishnu

Lirr168 wrote:-Times Sqaure, definitely go there. It is all underground, whereas out in Queens the (7) runs as an elevated and the (E) is still underground.

-Take the (E) to the last stop, the WTC site is only a few block walk. It was been a while since I was down there, but it's fairly close.
One of the exits from the E WTC station is into the PATH WTC station which is in the bathtub. So it is less than a few blocks walk. You can get a pretty good view of the entire bathtub from the concourse of the PATH station. Won't be too long now before all that becomes history as the new super-station and Freedom Tower is built.

by KLCS

Yes, the front of the E train at Chambers-WTC exits into the PATH Station and onto Fulton/Church.

If you transfer between the E and 7 at Times Square, you have to walk one block through a tunnel (actually more because the IND 8th Av platforms are offset). If you transfer at 74th Street it is just up one flight of stairs from the E then your choice of two sets of escalators(front and back of mezzazine),and another flight up to the elevated 7 platform (instead of taking the escalors, you could take the flight of stairs near the rear escalator, through the new station building, and up to the 7. The entire length of the 7 train platforms are covered from the elements since the station was recently rebuilt.