Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by Wallyhorse

protrain wrote:While I'm sure it would be very expensive, I almost feel like a tunnel from the north end of the 59th Street 4/5 platforms to the F platforms at Lex/63rd would be worthwhile - it would make this an actual, feasible transfer, and it would probably relieve a good bit of the overcrowding at 51st/Lex/53rd by providing a direct connection between Lex Express and QB Express.
Fred Rabin wrote:That would probably have to be privately financed, and I don't think it's likely. The 51st/Lex link to 53rd Street was built by the builders of 599 Lexington in exchange for some sort of zoning variance from the city. It was only 1 block long; the 63rd Street connector would have to be 3 blocks.
If it's not too expensive, perhaps it's time to consider adding if possible an additional stop on the 6 at 63rd street (or essentially moving a stop from 68th street) that would allow transfers to both the F and once the SAS starts the Q train. This could either be a new stop or perhaps be done where the station runs from 63rd-66th streets with exits on both ends, eliminating the 68th street stop at Hunter College since those who use it for Hunter College would still be able to get on two blocks south in this scenario, plus be able to walk the platform to get to the F train (and if necessary to do such, to alieviate losing the 68th street station for those living around 71st-72nd street, also re-building the 77th street station on the 6 where that exit is at the northermost end of the station with a new entrance/exit at 74th street).