• Trains on CSX St. Lawrence Sub (CR's Montreal Secondary)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by tree68

I was in Gouverneur Sunday afternoon and heard what I believe was two northbounds in the span of about two hours...

Didn't see them, I was in a meeting...
  by KC2CNY

Yes, I did catch the FRA train today. It was southbound in the Central Square area (Oswego County) around 4:15 PM.

I did do a quick video of it, but it was on my phone which wasn't bad, but it was pooring out, so it was from the inside of my car.
  by nickstowell

The Q193 went down with all BNSF power. I have noticed since Harrison became CEO, I have not seen the Q192 very often. Was this train canceled ? Also noticed the Q018 with more traffic, some nights quite long.
  by BR&P

nickstowell wrote:The Q193 went down with all BNSF power. I have noticed since Harrison became CEO, I have not seen the Q192 very often. Was this train canceled ? Also noticed the Q018 with more traffic, some nights quite long.
I doubt you are seeing any results from Harrison THIS early.
  by joha107

I believe Q192 is gone completely, all northbound containers are moving on Q018 and I would assume all the Beauharnois mixed freight is moving on Q018, Q193 remains as is but now terminates in DeWitt. This may not have been an EHH decision, but it was unlikely that two northbound intermodals would have survived under his reign, especially with how small Q018 ran.
  by lvrr325

I had noticed some northbounds were absurdly short, perhaps 3 5-unit sets and a handful of mixed freight. More amusingly sometimes these had two or three engines and longer trains only one.
  by sd80mac

nickstowell wrote:I have noticed since Harrison became CEO, I have not seen the Q192 very often. Was this train canceled ?

no it was changed, as mentioned in few previous posts, BEFORE Harrison got the job.
  by tree68

lvrr325 wrote:I had noticed some northbounds were absurdly short, perhaps 3 5-unit sets and a handful of mixed freight. More amusingly sometimes these had two or three engines and longer trains only one.
That's bigger than the one I've seen on the Chicago Line at Utica - one locomotive and one three-well car, and each well has one container...
  by lvrr325

Well, if you want to go there, I can beat it, saw a light unit westbound at CP 363 on Sunday night.

But I've seen light power go north as well. I just presumed it was to pick up empties somewhere.
  by tree68

lvrr325 wrote:Well, if you want to go there, I can beat it, saw a light unit westbound at CP 363 on Sunday night.

But I've seen light power go north as well. I just presumed it was to pick up empties somewhere.
Don't recall if it was here or on another forum where someone opined that CSX is trying to establish a route between Valleyfield and Atlanta, so will run a train regardless. Thus one loco and one set of wells. Both that I've seen were eastbound. It was strange to see. LIght engine moves I've seen - as you say, either headed somewhere for a pickup, or possibly a power move.

It's either that, or those three containers are REALLY hot...
  by sd80mac

Bigt wrote:Yep, and remember the days when running trains that size (locals) didn't make money or sense!
yeah if they want to keep their big spenders (customers such as UPS and car manufactures) I have seen 2,3, or 4 auto boxcars running at full speed through Wayneport few times for Tarrytown, long after manifest from same location had gone through. I forget the symbol of that ML for tarrytown. ML480?
  by Bigt

Yep, modern economic practices (railroading and non-railroading). It is amazing how certain operating practices
worked for decades, then all of a sudden, they no longer work. Guess it all amounts to when a "new team" takes the
controls and brings in their ideas!