• Trains 29/30

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Guest

Trains 29/30 Washington to Chicago; is this a reasonably successful route? In recent years the trains I've seen thru Cumberland, MD seemed to be pretty respectable.
  by jp1822

I take the Capitol Limited quite often between Chicago and Wasington DC throughout the year and on various days of the week. The sleepers are either full or nearly full and the coaches seem pretty well stocked. So I think it has fared pretty well as a route. I have no doubt that ridership lacks on some days, but even with my random trips, I've been amazed with patronage. Course wading through the route profitabilty report for this train is open to interpretation.

All Amtrak long distance trains operate at a loss.

Not sure how ridership has been affected at Pittsburgh, now that the arrival times in each direction are not the most passenger friendly. But I think it is holding its own as a singular train (rather than being combined or split off from the Three Rivers - as was once practiced in the past).

I am also under the opinion that the schedule of the Capitol Limited has also drawn additional ridership (departing origin around 5:30 p.m. and arriving in late morning or noon hour (if it was on time). Wish the Lake Shore Limited could provide the same - but I am being a little selfish with that one I suppose (as I travel endpoint to endpoint).

On many trips I have seen coach passengers come up to the sleeping car attendant (at boarding time) to ask if there were any sleepers are available for upgrading. Many have been turned away due to a full house. Glad they are trying to make use of the transition sleeper/dorm this summer for extra revenue space. Does anyone know if this has started yet? It was reported around here that it may happen.