• Train dispatcher?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by Steve F45

matawanaberdeeen, did you send in your info? heard anything back?
  by matawanaberdeen

Steve F45 wrote:matawanaberdeeen, did you send in your info? heard anything back?
Yeah sent it in last week, have not heard anything back, but I really don't anyway. You should hear something in the near future. Its still on the website right? I'd imagine you won't hear anything till it comes off the board. Let me know if you hear anything, and I will do the same?
  by Steve F45

i'll defintely let you know. the listing it still posted online. There is no closing date listed.
  by matawanaberdeen

Steve F45 wrote:i'll defintely let you know. the listing it still posted online. There is no closing date listed.
They don't put closing dates on jobs, it'll just disappear soon. May I just say they need a real employment section for their website. Like CSX/NS/BNSF/Amtrak/MTA/ and even SEPTA has. Somewhere you can post a resume and submit to jobs online.
  by Steve F45

they've re-posted the job opening.
  by Steve F45

as a train dispatcher, do you have to qualify on each line just as a locomotive engineer would?
  by AmTransit

Steve F45 wrote:as a train dispatcher, do you have to qualify on each line just as a locomotive engineer would?
Yes.
  by mvb119

Steve F45 wrote:as a train dispatcher, do you have to qualify on each line just as a locomotive engineer would?
It is extremely important for the dispatcher to be familiar with their territory. The track model on their screen is only indicating where the train is based on what block the train is occupying through the signal system. If you aren't actually familiar with the territory that is going to mean nothing, since all the track model shows is broken lines for the blocks and the interlockings, and they are in no way in relation to what is actually out there (ie curves, direction, etc). So you have to be able to know where that train is in the real world in relation to where it shows up on your screen. Besides trains, it is also important when you have workers fouling the track to know just where exactly they will be working so you can properly block that particular track so there will be no surprise visits from a train when they don't expect it. If there is any kind of emergency, you're going to be the one that train crews will be contacting. You'll be the one that needs to relay any necessary information to police, fire, ems etc like where to meet the train, closest road crossing or station, and whether or not it is safe for them to go on the tracks.
  by Steve F45

mvb119 wrote:
It is extremely important for the dispatcher to be familiar with their territory. The track model on their screen is only indicating where the train is based on what block the train is occupying through the signal system. If you aren't actually familiar with the territory that is going to mean nothing, since all the track model shows is broken lines for the blocks and the interlockings, and they are in no way in relation to what is actually out there (ie curves, direction, etc). So you have to be able to know where that train is in the real world in relation to where it shows up on your screen. Besides trains, it is also important when you have workers fouling the track to know just where exactly they will be working so you can properly block that particular track so there will be no surprise visits from a train when they don't expect it. If there is any kind of emergency, you're going to be the one that train crews will be contacting. You'll be the one that needs to relay any necessary information to police, fire, ems etc like where to meet the train, closest road crossing or station, and whether or not it is safe for them to go on the tracks.
Thank you for all that info. Typically, how long does it take someone to qualify on a line? Again, not looking for exactness here.
  by AmTransit

Steve F45 wrote:Thank you for all that info. Typically, how long does it take someone to qualify on a line? Again, not looking for exactness here.
Depends on how long you're given. Typically 2 to 3 days per line but can be longer if doing multiple lines at once. Qualifying can seem like a daunting task to someone that's never done it before and it can be grueling, especially the verbal portion but there is a method to it. When qualifying, keep this in mind - how do you eat an elephant?....one piece at a time...
  by Steve F45

AmTransit wrote:
Steve F45 wrote:Thank you for all that info. Typically, how long does it take someone to qualify on a line? Again, not looking for exactness here.
Depends on how long you're given. Typically 2 to 3 days per line but can be longer if doing multiple lines at once. Qualifying can seem like a daunting task to someone that's never done it before and it can be grueling, especially the verbal portion but there is a method to it. When qualifying, keep this in mind - how do you eat an elephant?....one piece at a time...
Thanks. Took test last week, one more week till results might be out.
  by AmTransit

Steve F45 wrote:Thanks. Took test last week, one more week till results might be out.
Good luck.
  by Steve F45

Got my test results, PASSED!
  by matawanaberdeen

Steve F45 wrote:Got my test results, PASSED!
Wow awesome, what is next?
  by Steve F45

wait for an interview.