Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by dinwitty

A flying meet might have been cool and fun and in the last second cool clear on a model railroad, but don't do that on the prototype.

Want my opinion, any meet should be a full stop with any train in view distance.

Thats not good for timing and moving, but its a one up for safety.

Glad no serious injuries.

pick it up, rack it up, lets get rollin again...

by PRRGuy

Due to the tight curves thru Michigan City It's very rare to see six axle power there..at one time I've seen a couple pictures of 2 Union Pacific Wide cabs in front of the rip track building.. Also, one of the diesel servicing tracks at shops is too sharp for six axle power to fit...according to our employee timetable.

by dinwitty

PRRGuy wrote:Due to the tight curves thru Michigan City It's very rare to see six axle power there..at one time I've seen a couple pictures of 2 Union Pacific Wide cabs in front of the rip track building.. Also, one of the diesel servicing tracks at shops is too sharp for six axle power to fit...according to our employee timetable.
Weeelll, the Joes could get thru...

by Tadman

and that's what I don't understand, there's a six-axle restriction past hegewisch as well, and I've seen many pics of joes moving freight to the IC interchange, although I understand the Burnham yard was the province of the 700's until they were retired.

by PRRGuy

I'll bet when the 700 and 800's were running the full length of the railroad, those curves in Hammond were always being repaired, especially the one right at State Line Interlocking.

by PRRGuy

This is the Covered hopper of sand that the car 106 bounced off of. It's still sitting in on the RIP track in Michigan City.

by PRRGuy

These are 106's trucks sitting on a flatcar in back of the RIP track on track 9.

by MikeF

Top notch duct tape repair on the covered hopper there ... :P