• train derailment in arlington tennessee

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by x correctional office

Trying to beat trains a common occurrence at Arlington crossing

Updated: April 25, 2008 09:20 PM CDT

Train hits tractor-trailer in Arlington

Clean-up crews will be up all night picking up the pieces of this freight train. It was thrown off the tracks Friday after smashing into an 18-wheeler.

Elizabeth Oldham heard it from her job near the railroad tracks.

"You could hear like metal scraping ground for at least, like, 30 seconds. It was a long noise," Oldham said.

She did not know exactly what it was until she watched the news.

"I knew it was bad. I didn't know it was that bad," Oldham said.

Turns out, the big rig cleared the tracks.

It's trailer full of corn syrup did not.

You could see the liquid sugar dripping from the front of the engine that smashed right into it.

A second engine and 10 train cars all jumped the tracks after impact. Most of them ended up on their sides. Their payload of brand new automobiles peeking out.

"There were a total of four injuries that we know of. All four people were CSX employees," said Asst. Chief Jim McMillan said.

The driver of the truck, 33 year-old Marlin Liggins of Memphis, escaped without a scratch.

He is now charged with disregarding a railroad crossing.

It is something folks in Arlington say drivers do all the time.

"And there's no arms on there. I mean, they all try to beat it. Everybody tries to beat the trains out here," Arlington resident Rachel Maccarino said.

It ended badly for Liggins.

The result of his miscalculation likely causing headaches and a lot of heavy lifting for days to come.

The four train engineers who were taken to The MED suffered only minor injuries.

Fire crews had another concern after making sure everyone was safe. That was containing about 150 gallons of diesel fuel that spilled from the second engine.

Fuel that is now all cleaned up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the crew was released from the hospital on saturday ..all received minor injuries....a blessing

by pauls

I saw a show on Fox Reality Channel about train wrecks. Showed cars and trucks getting hit at crossings, trains smashing into each other on the same track.

Safety rules are written in blood...

by CSX Conductor

Just read the incident report for this one on the company's accident log, not pretty at all. Over $1million in damages. Fortunately no life-threatening injuries to the train crew.

by charlie6017

Can you please provide a link to the story? It's Railroad.net policy to provide links and a short summary as opposed to copy/paste (copyright issues).

Thanks,
Charlie
  by x correctional office

i saw the same show.pretty ugly wrecks.it amazed me how far a train could knock a 18 wheeler

by hutch1984

It's my understanding that a road foreman of engines was qualifying an engineer on this train. They were in the lead unit, with the regular crew in the second unit which turned over.
I heard this train when it went through Nashville early Friday morning.

by COEN77

hutch1984 wrote:It's my understanding that a road foreman of engines was qualifying an engineer on this train. They were in the lead unit, with the regular crew in the second unit which turned over.
It would have to be the RFE, trainee, an the working engineer on the lead locomotive. The RFE doesn't have the right to take away the responsibilty of the controls from the Locomotive Engineer. Just because the RFE is the boss doesn't necessarily make him qualified to run on each subdivision they might know the timetable and territory. I can't remember my RFE ever actually running a train and he's been here since 1992. All in all it's a double edge sword when it comes down to trainees even on qualifying runs the working engineer is always in charge and responsible for whatever happens.

by hutch1984

COEN77 wrote:
hutch1984 wrote:It's my understanding that a road foreman of engines was qualifying an engineer on this train. They were in the lead unit, with the regular crew in the second unit which turned over.
It would have to be the RFE, trainee, an the working engineer on the lead locomotive. The RFE doesn't have the right to take away the responsibilty of the controls from the Locomotive Engineer. Just because the RFE is the boss doesn't necessarily make him qualified to run on each subdivision they might know the timetable and territory. I can't remember my RFE ever actually running a train and he's been here since 1992. All in all it's a double edge sword when it comes down to trainees even on qualifying runs the working engineer is always in charge and responsible for whatever happens.
I guess you're right. The conductor might have been the only one in the second unit.
I was working a yard job in Nashville the afternoon it happened, and by the time the word had spread to us, I'm sure the facts had gotten a little twisted.

by Nitro

I've been trying to find out which crew members were involved...I know the RFE, but the other 3 guys I haven't figured out yet...I worked at CSX between Memphis-Bruceton for 18 months before I transfered to the CN here in Memphis...I'll have to ask my Father-In-Law if he ever found out who the other 3 were since he was off at the time of the incident...

by roadster

The RFE, engineer, Training/qualifying engineer, conductor makes sense. The RFE has to observe the trainee/qualifying engineer on the territory. A qualified engineer is required as the trainee/qualifer is not yet qualified to run alone on that territory untill the RFE certifies them. And of course the conductor who has his normal responsabilityies. Being most engines have only 3 seats and rules require all crew within the cab must have a seat, the conductor was allowed to occupy the 2nd unit for crew safety. This is a fairly normal practice.
  by conductor1820

I currently work for the Union Pacific RR and I was interested in hiring out in for the CSX in Bruceton, TN I was wondering if they had guys furloughed out of that area.
  by charlie6017

You may be better off if you asked in the Employment forum ;-)