• Train Crew Boone, IA

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by Dobermanlady

I'm Squeeky-Clean new to the forum. I have been considering joining UP as train crew at Boone, IA. My husband's friend works out of the Des Moines yard, running up north to pick up ethanol cars 6 days a week. Does anyone know what kind of work is out at Boone?

As far as working conditions that I have read to exist with railroading, much of them I tolerate now as a truck driver. Working with all men isn't much of a problem either, having served 4 years in the Marine Corps, and being a truck driver for 13 years, the last five as an owner-operator. I haul heavy equipment, and as a matter of fact, right now I have a trackmobile on my trailer bound for ADM in Lincoln, NE. My husband and I are looking to get out of trucking, me taking the leap first and he will continue to drive until something good comes up.

Any info is appreciated! :-)
  by GOLDEN-ARM

Welcome to the Forum, Dobies. We have a lot of great stuff in the employment forum, and all of the questions you might have, are already answered there. It's a good time to get on any railroad, contrary to some of the nay-sayers words. Hit up the employment forum, and be sure to check out the jobs forum as well. :-D
  by Burner

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:It's a good time to get on any railroad, contrary to some of the nay-sayers words.

If you dont like working....

Boone has guys with over a years seniority still furloughed... Things ARE picking up right now, but i dont know if its because of the floods and weather or if traffic levels are actually increasing. But by the time you get out of training the spike will be over and things will be slowing down for the winter...

Call me a nay-sayer but I have a seniority roster to back me up.
  by GOLDEN-ARM

I will call you one. The facts are, that the carriers are hiring, and the next "wave" of retirees will be occuring, in the next couple of years, and those in the right spots, will get some decent seniority, in the not too distant future. IF there aren't jobs right there in Boone, you might not have to travel too far, to get into a terminal where they are hiring. And they are hiring, all across the country........ :wink: