• Train Chasing In District 2

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by MECBAR

Hi Everyone

I was just wondering if anyone could give me some info on Pan Am in District 2, like what the schedule
is like on a weekend. I'm staying in York, ME in early March and I was going to see if I could chase some trains in District 2. I'm hoping that I might get to see some of the 6 axles. Also, if anyone knew of the NHN schedule that would be great.

Thanks
  by Dick H

The NHN has not run on weekends for years. In fact, recently, they have only run trains to Dover with gravel for Boston only three days a week, some weeks. Generally, they come down on Monday with gravel for an evening DOBO.
They will then go north Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursdays mornings and back in the afternoon. Fridays, will be a north move only, with no return. However, as I mentioned, they have skipped one of the trips, usually on Thursday, in several weeks. If they skipped Thursday, they might do a Friday morning run to Dover, if there is LPG to be picked up for Eastern Propane at North Rochester. You may be able to pick them up on 160.275, as they have a repeater. Not sure whether you could hear them in York.

As far as Guilford traffic goes, it will be hit or miss. There could be jobs waiting at Dover or Wells for the Downeasters or a recrew. A scanner will be a necessity to scout this action. And have a Downeaster schedule.

Dick
  by Finch

Here in Durham, NH on weekends I only notice two or three freights a day usually. I can't claim to know exactly when they run. Mid-late morning (10:00-11:00 AM) seems to be a popular time, and a couple weekends recently NMED has come west in the late afternoon or evening. Tonight it couldn't get out of Dover ahead of Amtrak 696, so it waited and followed 698 west. My scanner was the only reason I knew NMED was due. Seems that Dover would be a good place to lurk. They're often holed up there waiting for a Downeaster to clear.