• Train Braking Question

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by Stephen B. Carey

I hope this is not off topic but what is the difference between direct release and graduated release brakes on a train?

by John_Perkowski

Amtrak Forum Moderator's Note:

Moved to the General Discussion: Locomotives, Rolling Stock and Equipment forum.

by DutchRailnut

with direct release all brakes release as soon as brake pipe pressure goes up just a few pounds, its usually used on single pipe brake systems like freight.

with graduate release the brakes can be partially released and re-applied by modulating brake handle, this system is normally used on passenger trains were both a brake pipe and main reservoir are used.

on a locomotive the two positions can be chosen on brake cutout valve. on cars if so eqiped the brake valve has a selector handle.

by Noel Weaver

DutchRailnut wrote:with direct release all brakes release as soon as brake pipe pressure goes up just a few pounds, its usually used on single pipe brake systems like freight.

with graduate release the brakes can be partially released and re-applied by modulating brake handle, this system is normally used on passenger trains were both a brake pipe and main reservoir are used.

on a locomotive the two positions can be chosen on brake cutout valve. on cars if so eqiped the brake valve has a selector handle.
Graduated release was in use long before main reservoir lines were in
use through the trains.
The New Haven Railroad used graduated release on all passenger trains.
At one time the Long Island Rail Road used direct release on all of their
trains simply because some of their oldest equipment could not be set up
for graduate release and they were famous for mixing up cars.
Noel Weaver

by DutchRailnut

Noel note the words usually and normally in my post ???.

Yes on older cars graduade release equipment was used, but only on later car that had car air reservoirs for functions of AC/toilets etc. on older cars these reservoirs filled thru a restricted pipe off the Brake pipe.
For graduate release and the funtion of pressure maintaing a second air source is needed.

by Stephen B. Carey

Thank you both very much. I thought that all train air brakes could be applied at different pressures like a car's brakes. :-D

by Noel Weaver

DutchRailnut wrote:Noel note the words usually and normally in my post ???.

Yes on older cars graduade release equipment was used, but only on later car that had car air reservoirs for functions of AC/toilets etc. on older cars these reservoirs filled thru a restricted pipe off the Brake pipe.
For graduate release and the funtion of pressure maintaing a second air source is needed.
I don't agree with you but I don't want to be bothered arguing about it,
whatever you say, my friend.
Have a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
Noel Weaver