Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Otto Vondrak

Jeff Smith wrote:Otto is not the site admin (that's me) or the moderator of this forum. That falls to Kevin. Otto is doing what we call "back-seat moderating".
Actually, what I'm doing is throwing discarded shells from the back of the Peanut Gallery. I made no comments about site content or Kevin's duties. Just an expression of amazement... I'm certainly not trying to stop anyone from enjoying this conversation.

Great, now that's two posts I had to make that contribute nothing to the topic at hand. See what you've turned me into?

-otto-
  by Jeff Smith

Otto Vondrak wrote:Actually, what I'm doing is throwing discarded shells from the back of the Peanut Gallery. I made no comments about site content or Kevin's duties. Just an expression of amazement... I'm certainly not trying to stop anyone from enjoying this conversation.

Great, now that's two posts I had to make that contribute nothing to the topic at hand. See what you've turned me into?

-otto-
1. I like peanuts. Salted and roasted, please. Used to sit in the back of training classes at my Reserve Center and sharpshoot all the time. Great fun!
2. Didn't say you said anything about Kevin or my duties; I was clarifying our duties for Scoostraw, who subsequently raised a great point about what agreement was in place. Course, I still want the damn thing to go to Millerton but I know, much like the case of the crossing, that my opinion means NADA!
3. <EVIL LAUGH>. We'll get you banned yet.

I'd still like to find out what happened circa the expansion; anyone close personal friends with Howard Permut?
  by scoostraw

Otto Vondrak wrote:
scoostraw wrote:It's "good for business" isn't it Otto? I mean this IS a discussion forum right? What could possibly be wrong with having a conversation about this railroad topic - as long as there are no personal attacks involved?
Otto Vondrak wrote:What business, Ken?
If I'm not mistaken, this forum runs on ad revenue. (If not, then perhaps someone should look into the pop-up ads that have invaded this site) I'm guessing the more people who post, the better. If nobody came here, why would an advertiser pay to feature their business?
Otto Vondrak wrote:
scoostraw wrote:Oh wait you did just attack the OP... what did you accomplish with that? If someone came to you and was ignorant about how to use photoshop, would you question their intelligence?
Otto Vondrak wrote:I was making an observation about someone who appeared to be really worked up about something which they cannot control. And if you come to me for Photoshop advice, that's not going to get you too far, either. I was only making an observation on the subject matter, nothing more. I'm sorry if I ruffled your feathers, Ken.
-otto-
Actually you did a little more than comment on the subject matter. I guess you mistakenly left this part out Otto. You wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote: "Then again, given the average intelligence of folks who complain about "train noise" I guess it would take nine pages to explain it to them".
I don't make the rules here, but if I said something like that I would not be surprised to hear from a moderator about it. IMO that's a personal attack.
  by scoostraw

Jeff Smith wrote:I was clarifying our duties for Scoostraw, who subsequently raised a great point about what agreement was in place.
Jeff, check your pm...
  by Otto Vondrak

scoostraw wrote:If I'm not mistaken, this forum runs on ad revenue. (If not, then perhaps someone should look into the pop-up ads that have invaded this site) I'm guessing the more people who post, the better. If nobody came here, why would an advertiser pay to feature their business?
The business operation of this site is not my concern, and has not been for some time. The direction and content of these discussions is at the discretion of the moderators and administrators, and they run the site as they see fit. I was amazed we have nine pages of discussion to what I see is essentially about train horns on the Upper Harlem. I'm also amazed you are debating my amazement. It's all pretty amazing, actually.
scoostraw wrote:Actually you did a little more than comment on the subject matter. I guess you mistakenly left this part out Otto. You wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote: "Then again, given the average intelligence of folks who complain about "train noise" I guess it would take nine pages to explain it to them".
I don't make the rules here, but if I said something like that I would not be surprised to hear from a moderator about it. IMO that's a personal attack.
A personal attack would be aimed at a particular person, wouldn't it? Please, if you feel my actions are out of line, use the little button and report me to the moderator, that's what it's there for.

Honestly! Now we're almost up to a full page just debating my involvement in a debate about my involvement in a discussion I don't even care about. I'm glad to see we are keeping up the old traditions here on RAILROAD.NET. :-)

-otto-