Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by roee

I was reading through Trains today and the Map of the Month is Northeast Commuter Trains, which shows from VA north. As part of the map, it shows the number of revenue train per day and from Mott Haven to GCT, it shows 529 trains. My question is with all the deadhead moves to Highbridge and other deadhead moves, how many trains per day on a typical weekday come out of the Park Ave tunnels (or say between GCT and 125th Street)?

by MNRR PA OPERATOR

man as the 125th operator the schedule goes NUTS!!! lemme give u a example. take a look at a typical weekday afternoon

4:51 NEW HAVEN STAMFORD FIRST TRACK 1
4:52 POUGHKEEPSIE CORTLANDT 1ST STOP
4:53 SOUTHEAST WHITE PLAINS- 1ST STOP
4:56 N WHITE PLAINS SCARSDALE-1ST STOP
4:59 CRESTWOOD MT VERNON WEST 1ST STOP
4:59 NEW HAVEN HARRISON-1ST STOP
5:02 HARRISON MT VERNON EAST 1ST STOP
5:04 N WHITE PLAINS MELROSE 1ST STOP
5:06 CROTON-HARMON MORRIS HEIGHTS 1ST STOP
5:11 CHAPPAQUA SCARSDALE 1ST STOP
5:15 DANBURY STAMFORD 1ST STOP (DOESNT SHOW ON RADAR) IT CREEPS ON YOU!!!
5:20 POUGHKEEPSIE BEACON FIRST STOP (FIRST UP TRACK 4)!!!!

AND IT GOES ON LIKE THIS! MY COMPUTER SCREEN AS THE PA OPERATOR AT 125TH SAYS 68 TRAINS FROM LIKE 4-530 OR 6 OR SO. THAT DOES NOT INCLUDE THE MANY TRAINS THAT DONT EVEN STOP AT 125TH!!!! EXAMPLES? 1560 AKA THE 539 NEW HAVEN FAIRFIELD FIRST STOP( TRAIN CAN BE BOMB EQUIPMENT) 853 to poughkeepsie also does not stop. between 537pm after that southeast leaves, u have at least 6 or 7 trains flying through 125th that do not stop between 537 and 545.

by MNRR PA OPERATOR

also things get crazy to the point HUDSONS GO NORTH ON TRACK 4 from the 849 which is the 520 poughkeepsie beacon first stop, and last up 4 is the 773 which is the 635 croton harmon morris heights 1st stop. track 3 and 1 are for harlem and NHs and track for the hudsons. track 2 is the only inbound for returning deadheads and inbounding trains. most of these short trains return to NY for a 2nd trip. example unit 359 which is the 4:59 crestwood, mount vernon west 1st stop, it gets to crestwood, and turns for 2358 after running as 359. so that equipment returns to NY.

by Fred G

Stand at the Harlem-125th station sometime on a weekday afternoon and you'll be overwhelmed by how many trains pass through there. All I could think was 'damn, that tower has this down to a science".