• Track work on the NEC

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by STrRedWolf

TheOneKEA wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:17 pm I thought LANDOVER was being removed from Tracks 2 and 3 because it was replaced with HANSON; is the latter interlocking not yet in service?

To answer the earlier question, I have seen southbound Amtrak services pass through Odenton station on Track 2, almost always shortly after a southbound MARC has departed on Track 3. My hypothesis is that the southbound Amtrak was switched at GROVE, goes around the MARC service somewhere near the Patuxent River, and returns to Track 3 at BOWIE. I have witnessed (and smelled) many northbound Amtraks braking through Odenton for the limited speed crossover from Track 2 to Track 1 at GROVE.
It looks like HANSON is ready to go. It now needs the platform off Track 1. That will let MARC get out of the way of Amtrak servicing NCR, and Amtrak can go and switch at CARROL or go farther up to BOWIE. Ether way, it would reduce the times MARC has to wait for an Amtrak to go north from DC, and possibly add some flexiblity to Amtrak to service NCR off Track 2 southbound.
  by twropr

Understand that Hanson interlocking is finally being cut over this weekend.
Only took 4 years+
Andy
  by CNJGeep

It will be called Burgos
  by TheOneKEA

The Position Light blog has an extensive blog post that chronicles the history of all three past and present interlockings on this portion of the NEC in Maryland. The blog post includes a diagram of the 1992-era LANDOVER and CARROLL interlockings that has been modified to include the new HANSON (or BURGOS?) interlocking.

What was the hold up on the full commissioning of this interlocking? How long does it take for a sufficient number of Amtrak engineers to learn a new interlocking?
  by STrRedWolf

twropr wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:26 pm Understand that Hanson interlocking is finally being cut over this weekend.
Only took 4 years+
Andy
That's the one just south of the older LANDOVER interlock and near the WMATA Landover station, right? Named for US 50, aka John Hanson Highway? Glad they made it a full interlock. Next step, side platform!
  by TheOneKEA

STrRedWolf wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:18 pm
twropr wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:26 pm Understand that Hanson interlocking is finally being cut over this weekend.
Only took 4 years+
Andy
That's the one just south of the older LANDOVER interlock and near the WMATA Landover station, right? Named for US 50, aka John Hanson Highway? Glad they made it a full interlock. Next step, side platform!
That’s what the Position Light blog post I linked above has stated. It’s a logical choice of name that is easy to remember and spell, which is why I am curious about the alternative name cited above.
  by NortheastTrainMan

Although this thread has focused on the NEC south of Philadelphia, and mostly in the DC / Maryland area thus far, I'll adhere to the title "Track work on the NEC."

Yesterday (9/16/2023), I noticed Track 2 at GRUNDY Interlocking in Bristol, PA was being replaced. This led to all eastbound trains being routed onto Track 1.

I caught this on video from Amtrak Northeast Regional 162 (morning train) & Northeast Regional 161 (afternoon train). Notice how in the afternoon, a portion of Track 2 was completely removed.
  by daybeers

An interlocking is being installed in Clinton, CT about 8 miles west of the Old Saybrook station, where one track is completely removed for replacement.
  by STrRedWolf

NortheastTrainMan wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:34 pm Although this thread has focused on the NEC south of Philadelphia, and mostly in the DC / Maryland area thus far, I'll adhere to the title "Track work on the NEC."

Yesterday (9/16/2023), I noticed Track 2 at GRUNDY Interlocking in Bristol, PA was being replaced. This led to all eastbound trains being routed onto Track 1.

I caught this on video from Amtrak Northeast Regional 162 (morning train) & Northeast Regional 161 (afternoon train). Notice how in the afternoon, a portion of Track 2 was completely removed.
Good find! But yes, it's all the NEC. I just happen to cover it around Maryland.
  by NortheastTrainMan

I've been running around a bit lately, and I forgot to share this.
Anyways, as of Sep 24, 2023, Track 2 at GRUNDY Interlocking is back in business.
However, on that particular day, Amtrak's maintenance crew were on site working in the area.
This led to some horn shows for their safety.

I rode Amtrak Northeast Regional 160 in the morning & Amtrak Keystone 667 in the afternoon.
667 gave a rather impressive horn show at track speed. Safety First.

You can check out my video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y29nYwpteA
Last edited by NortheastTrainMan on Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by west point

Was the ride that smooth or do you have some kind of camera stabilization?
  by twropr

daybeers wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 8:50 pm An interlocking is being installed in Clinton, CT about 8 miles west of the Old Saybrook station, where one track is completely removed for replacement.
This will be Fitter interlocking. Which track is O/S?
Andy
  by NortheastTrainMan

west point wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:23 am Was the ride that smooth or do you have some kind of camera stabilization?
It was relatively smooth. I just monitor my breathing and try to stay stable as possible when I'm taking video.
  by NortheastTrainMan

During Summer and a bit of Fall 2023, Track 2 at New York Penn Station was out of service. Well, there wasn't a physical track there at all. There was work being done on both the track area & platform. I found this out by mistake one day, because I bent down to tie my shoe on the stairwell and was blown away at amount of concrete.

Video during reconstruction -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aFo6OTtI-s

Fast forward to Nov 28, 2023, I was making my way to Krispy Kreme donuts, and I noticed the departure board saying a NJ Transit train was departing...FROM TRACK 2. So, I went down to take a look. Not only was the physical track there (well, obviously, the train would need it right?), but the platform was painted grey. Presumably to match the other platforms in NY Penn. The platform for Track 3 & 4 is still burgundy / maroon, but something tells me the clock is ticking.

Video after reconstruction -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOe4r2ye4yg
  by TheOneKEA

Only took 4 years+
Andy
Is this interlocking confirmed to be in service?