• Track work in Reading, MA

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by theman8318

New ties on the Reading/Haverhill Line at the willow street crossing? Is this true or are they hopefully creating a spur to a new customer so we can watch freights on this line .. come on guys .. don't get my hopes up :)
  by tom18287

i doubt it man, i havent seen them, but pan am wants nothing to do with the haverhill line south of the wildcat branch, unfortunately.

how can they legally deny a business freight if they are on an active rail line?
  by bmcdr

The trackage through Reading is property of the MBTA, any tie bundles in the area belong to the T, .............sorry.
  by cpf354

If anything the north side freight picture over MBCR controlled routes is getting bleaker. Pan Am no longer has a Boston based local nor any through freights that go there, other than the sand train from Ossipee NH. One of the Lawrence based locals does all the work around Boston now, and that even includes Salem and the customer on the S. Reading Branch.
  by theman8318

There is no ties .. there was a truck that cleared a random path out for no reason all along the side .. that is what I'm getting at and who is the customer of the s. reading area are you talking about?
  by Finch

There aren't any businesses in that area that would require a spur. It's pretty much a 100% residential area. Reading square isn't that far off but that's all retail stuff (and why start a spur at Willow St. anyways)?

There's actually a small conservation area right next to the tracks at Willow St. The entrance is on the uphill side of the tracks, on the "inbound" (closer to Boston) side of Willow St. The town could be doing some work in that area.

Got any pictures?
  by theman8318

Hey Finch,

I'm not sure .. I live around the willow street area .. its on the north side .. not the conservation side where this is taking place. I don't know why a truck would clear a path of snow on the side of the tracks for no reason .. but only north bound?
  by 130MM

It gives the signal maintainer a place to park his truck should he need to trouble shoot the crossing or the block signal near the crossing, or do any necessary testing

DAW
theman8318 wrote:Hey Finch,

I'm not sure .. I live around the willow street area .. its on the north side .. not the conservation side where this is taking place. I don't know why a truck would clear a path of snow on the side of the tracks for no reason .. but only north bound?
  by theman8318

Ahh very good! Well looks i'll drop my interest in freights since it will never happen again..
  by doublebell

Dave,
South Reading is the original name for Wakefield. He is talking about Eastman Gelatin on the former South Reading branch in Peabody.
John, the guy in the white car with the wing on back.
  by theman8318

No .. I know .. I asked what customer .. because the branch is no longer..

David: Do you have any other pictures of Boston Stove Foundry/Trancoa/Tasc????