• Track Vehicles Fuel Efficency

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by washingtonsecondary

I've always wondered, what sort of gas milage does a MOW track truck get on rails, vs. when its on normal paved roads? Is it higher when on the rails?

by jmp883

Just my thoughts.....As part of my training to become a train dispatcher we had to be 'territory qualified', meaning we had to know every inch and detail of the railroad. I rode in a hi-rail pick-up truck over about 60 miles of the line and it was a great way to learn the railroad.

I would think the mpg would be basically the same. There is no weight penalty in track vs. road operations, the hi-rail gear weighs the same whether it's being used or not. The hi-rail wheels are not used in powering the track car during rail operation so there is no extra fuel consumed in transferring power from the track car's drivetrain to the hi-rail wheels. Once the track car is on the rails the hi-rail wheels lift the front wheels clear of the track, leaving the rear wheels in contact with the rails for power. The front wheels are then manually locked, usually with a locking bar on the steering column, and you're off. In my track car experience we never got much over 5-10 mph since I was riding with a track maintainer and he was looking for loose rail joints, broken rails, etc.

I'd be surprised to find out if there is a major difference between road and rail operation. :-D

by FarmallBob

Interesting question! A couple thoughts:

Hi-railer speeds are generally very slow. So the transmission stays in mostly low or possibly 2nd gear. Thus the engine operates only lightly loaded – ie. far below it’s fuel economy “sweet spot”. I’d therefore anticipate fuel mileage on the rails might then actually be lower than on the road.

Now add in frequent stops and long periods of idling typical of hi-railer operation. (Ever see a hi-railer stopped on the rails without it’s engine running? I haven’t...). This further conspires to drive net fuel economy while on the rails lower.

But that's just my guess. ...FB

by jmp883

FarmallBob wrote:
So the transmission stays in mostly low or possibly 2nd gear. Thus the engine operates only lightly loaded – ie. far below it’s fuel economy “sweet spot”.
That was something I never thought about. I don't remember what gear we rode in when I hi-railed, all I remember is that the truck had an automatic transmission. You're also right about track cars always running. During our trip we stopped numerous times to copy Form D's and to tighten the occasional loose rail joint. I don't think we ever shut the track car off.

I'd now tend to agree.....mpg is probably lower during rail use vs. road use.

by FarmallBob

jmp883 wrote: I don't remember what gear we rode in when I hi-railed, all I remember is that the truck had an automatic transmission.
On several occasions the inspector who hi-rails along the CSX main near where I live has stopped to chat (we discuss wildlife we both enjoy spotting along the ROW). Anyway I noticed he has the front wheels locked in the "straight ahead" position with the steering lock and he has the transmission is "D". So at 10 mph the hi-railer's transmission probably never gets out of low gear.

So even at the price the railroad now must pay for gasoline, fuel economy is apparently not a priority for hi-railer operation!

by typesix

Fuel economy should be greater on rail for the same speed since the rolling resistance of the front tires is greater than the hi-rail wheels. But at such low speeds, may be hard to see big difference.