Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by thrdkilr

What is the max speed for frieght and passenger trains on the east end? Both Montauk and Greenport. How much would it cost too upgrade for speeds of 60 mph? At what speed, if any, do you need to have signals and/or track controls? Thanks for replies...

by DutchRailnut

Max speed for Manual block is not exeeding 59 mph
Signals but no Cabsignaling is not exceeding 79 mph.
  by de402

IIRC, east of KO to Riverhead 45 from Riverhead to GY 40.

I've got a timetable from the 40's that puts the Shelter Island Express at 60+ with more stops than today's 5 stop route. From what Jay and others have said, the crossing gates are not capable of faster operation. Also, there are many spots where crossing are not protected, with cows and other animals to look out for. Track conditions IMHO look great out east, better of some of the track on the west side, probably due to the lower use. I pray someday that I'll see 50 mph operation out east.

Eric

by bluebelly

Maximum authorized speed for the Manual Block portions of the Mainline and Montauk Branches are:
Montauk: PSGR 65 FRGT 40
Mainline:
KO2 to MR: PSGR 45 FRGT 30
MR to GY : PSGR 40 FRGT 30

These are the Maximum speeds permitted, there are various speed restrictions on both branches so at certian locations, some curves, some bridges, for example trains must operate at lower speeds. otherwise as long as it would not cause the train to run ahead of schedule it is MAS