• Track planning software

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by stilson4283

Does anyone have experience with either 3rd planit or Cad rail and which one they liked better? Are there any others that people use that the like?

Chris

by ANDY117

I'm using 3rd PlanIt. its pretty fun, and easy once you get the hang of it. Now i can't get dad off the computer unless i disconnect the mouse, or entice him away with food.

by Mr Lehigh

I use cadrail 8. I haven't mastered it yet, so I don't know all the details. However I tried the demos for both programs and I liked cadrail better. I don't like all the fancy bells and whistles. I prefer a program that will just help me do the grade and curve calculations. I don't have a need for cad designing of the landscape. I prefer to do that in my head.

I have heard that the learning curve for 3rd plannit is less. I guess the thinking is that Cadrail is more a cad program than 3rd plannit.

Speaking of layout design....... What happened to the contest?
  by Tom Curtin

I cannot recommend Cadrail highly enough. I have never used any other track planning software, so I have no basis for comparison, but I will say Cadrail is a full function CAD program that comes with an extensive library of pre-defined commercial track components. It will produce scarily accurate track plans.