Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by hard sleeper

What's up with Track 4 at Peekskill, on the west side of the New York bound island platform? No trains originate or terminate at Peekskill, and since the track doesn't continue northward it couldn't be used for much else. Does this track see any use? Did it in the past, or are there plans to add more Peekskill trains in the future?
  by Rockingham Racer

Once upon a freckle, the evening rush hour saw a train that terminated in Peekskill. And am I imagining it that third rail went up there?
  by RearOfSignal

No, there was never third rail up there, but I do believe there was some kind of shuttle service that utilized track 4 at some point. I think they towed MU sets up to Peekskill. Way before MNR anyway.
  by NH2060

RearOfSignal wrote:I think they towed MU sets up to Peekskill. Way before MNR anyway.
The New York Central did indeed do this for a number of years until at least the mid to late 1940s or whenever the Hudsons came off the commuter runs. I believe there were at least 2 such round trips that utilized this practice.
  by DutchRailnut

correct train 855 use to terminate in Peekskill, then deadhead back to Harmon and turn for later train to Poughkeepsie till about 14 years ago
Last edited by DutchRailnut on Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Clean Cab

Rockingham Racer wrote:Once upon a freckle, the evening rush hour saw a train that terminated in Peekskill. And am I imagining it that third rail went up there?
MN had planned on installing 3rd rail from Harmon to Peekskill. But they re-allocated the money and parts to extend the 3rd rail on the NH Line from Woodlawn to Pelham instead.