• Toyota ad on side of Amtrak locomotive

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by locomotiveguy

Amtrak unit 84 2nd on train 20 from New Orleans today, has both sides completely covered with a hand painted (brused) murial of a red toyota tacoma truck.

by DutchRailnut

Its not hand brushed or painted its same film used on buses and other transit vehicles, once contract is over they rip it off the locomotive.

by RMadisonWI

I don't remember the details, but I thought those ads were supposed to be on the Silver Service and Texas Eagle, or was the Crescent one of the trains, too? Not that I'm necessarily complaining. An engine's an engine, and it ought to go where it's needed.

by AmtrakFan

They are suppose to be on the Eagle, City of New Orelans and the Silver Service. Also I have seen it on 21(11) Very cool looking.

AmtrakFan

by RMadisonWI

Joe wrote:Here it is on the SW Chief (4) heading into Chicago for use on the Texas Eagle.
How hideous.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

its a good idea, Amtrak can make a few extra bucks

by queenlnr8

RMadisonWI wrote:
Joe wrote:Here it is on the SW Chief (4) heading into Chicago for use on the Texas Eagle.
How hideous.
As many might think that 'wrapping' coaches and locomotives might be 'selling out' on Amtrak's part, I think that it is a wonderful idea. It costs Amtrak NOTHING and brings in MONEY. I think that every penny earned is a good penny. After all, beggers can't be choosers, can they?

I think that this idea might be better used on the NEC. There is a hellava lot more frequency, more 'eyes to capture' and better chance to sell multiple products. Also, Amtrak could use this to sell their services too!

[imagine] A whole train with the message: GO BY TRAIN! [/imagine]

P.S... too bad Amtrak doesn't offer Express anymore. They could have dug up the old Santa Fe moniker: Ship and Play the Amtrak Way!

by hsr_fan

Capitalism at it's finest, I guess. :(

by Irish Chieftain

Other countries are no stranger to wrapping locomotives. DB does it quite a bit...

by Gilbert B Norman

To carry Mr. Queenlane's thought one step further, likely the most conspicuous advertisment ever in Grand Central was a 30' diameter clock between the ticket cages that was sponsored by TWA Airlines.

Remember them?

As far as the NYC was concerned (GCT was never a Terminal Company; New Haven was simply a tennant), "a buck is a buck".

by FatNoah

Speaking of Toyota and trains...has anyone seen the Toyota commercial in which one scene features a Toyota driving by a train station. On the (clock?) tower of the station is a big sign that says "Take the Train." I wonder if this is coincidental or some sort of cross promotion.

by RMadisonWI

Haven't seen that one.

I did see a commercial some time ago (perhaps a year or more, I don't watch the telescreen often enough to know what commercials are out these days) advertising some sort of SUV (may have been Toyota, maybe someone else).

Some guy drops his girlfriend off at the train station (she clearly boards a commuter train to start), then drives off somewhere to watch her train as it passes by down the line, and the train happens to be a Pacific Surfliner.

by AmtrakFan

FatNoah wrote:Speaking of Toyota and trains...has anyone seen the Toyota commercial in which one scene features a Toyota driving by a train station. On the (clock?) tower of the station is a big sign that says "Take the Train." I wonder if this is coincidental or some sort of cross promotion.
Just saw that one a few nights ago.

AmtrakFan

by Gilbert B Norman

Sounds like what Messrs Fan and Noah note is Portland, OR