• Touchy Subject

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by FatNoah

Otto,

What was the format of the old forums? Was it just HTML that got appended-to as posts got added? The new format uses some sort of mySQL back-end, right?

If the answers to those questions are yes, I would gladly take up the challenge of converting the old forums...even as a spare-time project. I write software for a living and you'd be surprised what can be done in "spare time".

With regards to "what to do" with this data, since the forum operates with some sort of database back-end, the logical solution would be to put the old posts in the database...possibly as an "Archive" forum that can atleast be searched.
  by zz4

I get the funny feeling somebody is writing a book. Archives of past posts.

Allot of history LOST every time this place goes into a NEW format.

Nothing is lost if people think to SAVE things. (I'm not getting into copyright issues)

Otherwise its a FREE service somebody spends money for so nobody can really gripe.

Best thing---post.....

Maybe be aware the threads probably will vanish upcoming.

by eriemike

Instead of talking about the process, let's talk about the purpose. I've made four posts. Let's get to talkin' New England Railroading! :P
  by Robert Paniagua

You're right, Mr. Eriemike, I think we ought to talk about New England Railroading, so therefore, dis topique gots to be locked, man.........