• "Patriot Corridor"

• Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,
Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,

Moderator: MEC407

by roberttosh

Looks like a lot of you know it alls have egg on your face, huh?? Maybe you'd be better off sticking with Lionel trains and or taking pictures and let the people who know what they're talking about discuss any "rumors".....

by DogBert

roberttosh wrote:Looks like a lot of you know it alls have egg on your face, huh?? Maybe you'd be better off sticking with Lionel trains and or taking pictures and let the people who know what they're talking about discuss any "rumors".....
That might be a viable argument if this press release came out 15 days ago...

It's just sad that NS is only a 50% owner, not 100%...

by CN9634

Well regardless of who said what now we can see that there is a glimmer of hope in New England! I wonder what CSX thinks of this? Anyways, so NS bought 50 percent of 150+ miles for 140 Million? It said 87M is going to track upgrades, I wonder if the rest will be reinvested or (and most likely) pocketed. Perhaps we'll see an overall system improvement. One can only hope but this is definitely great news as companies in New England will ultimately benefit.

by MEC407

Now we just have to wait for this deal to be approved by the STB. Hopefully that won't take too long.

The investment is $140 million in cash and "other property" which could include all sorts of things, and they didn't say what percentage of that $140 million is cash and what percentage is "other property."

I'm sure NS will have a say in how that money gets spent and how that property gets used. They have to protect themselves and their shareholders... they certainly aren't going to let Pan Am piss it away on things that aren't going to be of real benefit to the joint venture.

by Cowford

Unfortunately, just like Schwarzkopf in 1991, NS didn't advance far enough! Maine'll have to wait its turn :( And that f*&#, stupid, half-a(*& name!!!! Oh well, better than nothing.

I'm curious to know what the eastern limits are. Sound like possibly everything west of Lawrence? They state Ayer as eastern terminus, but is that because Ayer-east is owned by MBTA?

by MEC407

The press release talks about revitalizing the corridor between Albany and greater Boston... hmmm... naming the new venture "Boston & Albany Railroad" would have been an apt choice. :wink: Talk about rewriting history!

by GRSGuy

Cowford wrote: I'm curious to know what the eastern limits are. Sound like possibly everything west of Lawrence? They state Ayer as eastern terminus, but is that because Ayer-east is owned by MBTA?
everything from Fitchburg east to Boston on the Fitchburg Route Main Line is owned by the MBTA. The Stony Brook Branch, which connects CPF-WL (The Willows) and CPF-NC (the wye at North Chelmsford), NC to CPF-LO (the interlocking at Lowell Station) and the Lowell Branch (from CPF-BY where it splits from the line to Boston and CPF-LJ, the interlocking just west of Ballardvale) are still owned by the Boston and Maine Corporation.

by NV290

Who's full of _____ now?????

Funny how EXACTLY what i said weeks ago turns out to be true. As someone else already pointed out, maybe some of you guys need to learn that just because you didnt read it in some train magazine or on some railfan website does not mean something is not true. MANY, MANY secrets are kept by corporations. Why so many of you INSISTED that any type of merger would be public from day one is laughable. They did not even tell employees let alone railfans. Just because a deadline for an announcment passes does not mean a deal does not exsist. I cannot get over how many of you know nothing about how big business works. Some mergers take years. Things don't always go smoothly.

Some of you still really need to learn to LISTEN and not be so quick to pass judgement.
Last edited by NV290 on Thu May 15, 2008 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Cowford

So Ayer will be the interchange point with PAR? I wonder if "PAS" will inherit any of the MBTA freight trackage rights... not that there's anything in Boston worth serving.

by NV290

Cowford wrote: I'm curious to know what the eastern limits are. Sound like possibly everything west of Lawrence? They state Ayer as eastern terminus, but is that because Ayer-east is owned by MBTA?
Eastern limit is CPF 312. Exactly what i said a month ago.

There is even a brand new AEI reader installed right there.

by roberttosh

DogBert wrote:
roberttosh wrote:Looks like a lot of you know it alls have egg on your face, huh?? Maybe you'd be better off sticking with Lionel trains and or taking pictures and let the people who know what they're talking about discuss any "rumors".....
That might be a viable argument if this press release came out 15 days ago...
As a matter of fact, it was supposed to be announced about 3 weeks ago - except for a last minute legal hitch. The bottom line is that a bunch of know nothings ridiculed to no end people who were bringing what turned out to be legit info to this forum. Sure it didn't happen as fast as we all thought it would, but what else would you expect from Pan Am??? I for one will never again offer up even the slightest bit of info after this fiasco.
Last edited by roberttosh on Thu May 15, 2008 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Skullitor

Cowford wrote:So Ayer will be the interchange point with PAR? I wonder if "PAS" will inherit any of the MBTA freight trackage rights... not that there's anything in Boston worth serving.
Springfield Terminal will still be operating freight service in the PanAm Southern area's. Western Dict.3 and all of 4. But will new GE Engines be comming? It's gonna be interesting this summer. :wink:

by b&m 1566

Cowford wrote:Unfortunately, just like Schwarzkopf in 1991, NS didn't advance far enough! Maine'll have to wait its turn :(
Hey, "Rome wasn't built in a day".
I'm just glad that for once this wasn't a rumor. That press release almost came too late for some people on here because it sure was heating up.
I've been fallowing this thread since the first post but never dared to post anything till now.

I'm just glad a change is taking place… hopefully for the better.

by CN9634

Well I dont think this should be an Ego war and I really dont care to know if you were right or wrong on the matter. Its like the boy who cried wolf, after YEARS of hearing it no one believes it. It just so happens this one time it was true. No need to shove it in peoples faces, you were right good job. I got my own information that I dont know if I want to throw out because people would attack me. But anyways, Now lets talk about the exciting new developments!

by tom18287

maybe revitalization of some branch lines?