• Husband is terrified of signal test.

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by johnnynick

When i took the tests back in june we only had to know the signals for the territorry we would be working in, for me the norac/cr signals. I can't see why they would want you to learn signals that you will never have to see, sounds like it could cause quite a bit of confusion. Just try to relax and study and you'll be okay, everyone i was with passed. Flash cards worked for me pretty well. If you can see if you can watch the old conrail "if it isnt all red, it isn't red at all" video, which i though was real helpful. We had to take the written test when i was at amdg and then later on the signal shootout at redi which is no big deal at all, take that with the book or with someone else if you want. Once you can identify all the signals, just think of what that is telling you since they follow a pretty standard pattern for most aspects.

good luck

by CSX Conductor

Johnny, so was the test @ REDI on the signal shootout or hand-written? Just curios.

by johnnynick

The test i took at redi was just the signal shootout that we had to finish with a bunch of others pods sometime before we flew home. When i was at amdg in albany we took the written test which was basically just a fill in version on the signal indication book. Now that all the training is down south i'm guessing they do both down there at redi now.

by Igotskills

Here is one tip If you have a red on the bottom, "It Don't Mean Nothin". For instance a single green signal is the same exact thing as a green over red signal. The name is clear and the indication is proceed for both of them. So if you no what the signal is by itself you also no what it is if it is over a red. Good Luck to ya.

by Igotskills

Here is one tip If you have a red on the bottom, "It Don't Mean Nothin". For instance a single green signal is the same exact thing as a green over red signal. The name is clear and the indication is proceed for both of them. So if you no what the signal is by itself you also no what it is if it is over a red. Good Luck to ya.

by MistahQ

if he is at the redi center in atlanta ga, the signal test is on the computer is a game style called Signal Shootout.so if he passed the written exam back at his training college he will be fine. REDI center wants a score of 100,000 minimum.

by scooterz66

As someone who recently took and passed the signals test for seaboard, let me shed some light to anyone who might be headed to the REDI. As other's have said, it is a good idea to make flash cards. As for the test.... One of the many rule books you will receive is a signals book. The test is this, they give you a blank sheet of paper, and what looks like a signals book. Only in the test book, there is the rule number and the picture of the signal. That's it. You have to copy down the rule number, write the name of the signal and what it means. Word for word. They don't get too picky about punctuation. If you add or miss a the, or a then; they MIGHT let you rewrite it the next day. (the copy for your file has to be perfect) But if you left out or put in too many, they might make you take the whole thing again. There are no partial retakes. If you have to retake it, you do the whole thing. The main thing is, if you leave out, or add any word that changes the meaning of the signal, you just failed it. But you can take it as many times as you want. Once a day (during lunch) and you have to pass it by the end of the 5th week.

by modorney

Others - If you think you are going to REDI or other school, ask ahead if you can get a list of the signals you will need to know. And start memorizing them now. Do a little every day (like an hour).