• Husband is terrified of signal test.

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by missjenngirl

my name is jennifer I am a stay at home mom now my husband is currently at the REDI center he's been there a week he has the highest grade in his class but he told me tonight he doesn't think he will be able to pass the signal test.
I was hoping someone could give me some advice fo studying for him and or words of encouragement.
This job means a lot to use because we have a baby with a heart condition and I can no longer work this job will allow me to stay home with the baby.
Any advice or help would be appriciated.
  by Penn Central

missjenngirl wrote:my name is jennifer I am a stay at home mom now my husband is currently at the REDI center he's been there a week he has the highest grade in his class but he told me tonight he doesn't think he will be able to pass the signal test.
I was hoping someone could give me some advice fo studying for him and or words of encouragement.
This job means a lot to use because we have a baby with a heart condition and I can no longer work this job will allow me to stay home with the baby.
Any advice or help would be appriciated.
I know how your husband feels, Jennifer. I had no railroad experience when I went to school in Philadelphia for Penn Central. The signal test seemed like an impossible task, and you can only pass with a perfect score. I made 3x5 cards with the aspects (pictures) on one side, and the name and indication of the signal on the other. I practiced with my classmates and we all passed.

I spent the last 16 years of my railroad career as an instructor and very few students failed the signal test. You said that your husband has the highest grade in his class. He shouldn't worry. If he was struggling with the other tests, then the signal test could be the nail in the coffin, but that's not the case with him. Reassure him, and he will do fine.

by modorney

As mentioned, study. It helps to do a little every day, rather than skipping days and cramming later. As soon as you get your signal book, start studying, even though it isn't assigned homework yet.

Sometimes, it helps to make up phrases - on my railroad, we use "Really old ladies want pizza, cheese, no pepperoni." It's the stations on the yellow line - Rockridge, Orinda, Lafayette, Walnut Creek, Pleasant Hill, North Concord, Pittsburg.

And relax. If he's first in his class it means he's neither dumb or lazy. Smart workers make it.

by CSX Conductor

What type of test will he have? Does he have to write all the indications out word for word or is it mutiple choice.....just curuios. I am also curios if one has to learn all the signals system wide or just the ones used in your work location.

by CSX-COAL HAULER

modorney wrote:As mentioned, study. It helps to do a little every day, rather than skipping days and cramming later. As soon as you get your signal book, start studying, even though it isn't assigned homework yet. .

He is at the Atlanta Redi center there MODORNEY---he is in class -he has his signal book-he has been studying---and he probably has had assigned homework to do. :wink: :wink: Any other advise?

by CSX Conductor

Flash cards will definately be useful. :wink:

by CSX-COAL HAULER

:P :P :P If the flash cards don't work he can always do what most guys do-------------use cheat sheets!!!! :P :P

by Kick'em

CSX Conductor wrote:What type of test will he have? Does he have to write all the indications out word for word or is it mutiple choice.....just curuios. I am also curios if one has to learn all the signals system wide or just the ones used in your work location.
If its like I had in Jax'ville last year, write all indications word for word (really picky instructors want correct punctuation, too). We only needed Seaboard signals, not NORAC.

by CSX Conductor

That's what I'm curios about as we don't use the CSXT signals......we use the Former Norac signals which are listed in the Signal books as "CR" and then the number.

by pennsy

Hi Jennifer,

All of the above and above all, RELAX. It is only a test. The more relaxed you are, the quicker the answers will pop into your mind, and the problem will be solved. As a general rule, once you answer the first two or three questions, you will be sufficientlly calmed down to "ACE" the exam. And, don't forget, after you are finished with the exam, back up, and check your answers, especially the first few.

by Kick'em

They give several opportunities to pass if he doesn't get it on the first shot.

by silver 60

can your husband get with a study group? alot of people get scared about the signals but let me tell you its not that hard. which one is he having the hardest time with ? I work for the UP and our signals may be a little different but i would like to help if needed. for me i started with the easiest ones then went to the diverging and then resricting it worked for me .

by Igotskills

To be honest the signal test is one of the easiest tests. If you pm me I will give you some rules or abbreviations to help remember them. There is nothing to them and I had never even seen them before I started taking the training. Maybe his is different though. If I can be of any help let me no. Good luck.

by Igotskills

To be honest the signal test is one of the easiest tests. If you pm me I will give you some rules or abbreviations to help remember them. There is nothing to them and I had never even seen them before I started taking the training. Maybe his is different though. If I can be of any help let me no. Good luck.

by powerpro69

The main thing is remembering the order they"should" come in, the questions follow one another in order and make sure he reads through yard limit rules, they are included in there too.