• New ownership - Cape Cod Central RR

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by BayColony1706

I heard they were hurting for engineers.. might fax them a resume..

by MickD

In yesterday's Cape Cod Times John Kennedy indicated that to save money they intend to cut out some trips from the summer schedule,
but run some winter trains.That just might be what it takes for awhile to keep it goin'.I remember the Cape Cod&Hyannisport had a combo trip
where they'd take you over to Onset to ride the canal cruise.Too bad only the dinner train has been goin' across.

by paulrail

I have also heard they are very short on brakemen/firemen for the upcoming season. Also, office help is needed.

If interested, call the railroad in Hyannis. Ed Corchran (sp?) will continue on as Manager.(Thank god...he is a great manager!) :wink:

Paul

by Otto Vondrak

Maybe the new railroad wants to take out an ad on RAILROAD.NET this summer? >vbg<

-otto-

by MickD

2006 schedules up on CCC website.They've made adjustments but
sensible ones.It's really too bad they don't go up to Middleborough
because I'm sure there'd be a daytripper/weekend clientle from towns along the way.They might be able to work out packages with some of the hotels in Sandwich and Hyannis.I'm hopin' they'd run a special down to
Buzzards Bay for the scallopfest like the CC&HP did.The times I took it it was packed.

by CSX Conductor

Just received this article earlier today. :wink:

by Pacobell73

Does anyone know what is to become of the outer end of the line between Yarmouth and South Dennis (Rt. 134)? The grade crossings have been gutted, so no trains can really use the line east of the junction to Hyannis. I have heard that---ichh :( ---the Cape Cod Rail Trail may be extended westward.

Also, I spotted a website containing current photos of the line between Yarmouth and South Dennis. Could anyone link me up to it? Can't seem to find it on Google. :-)

by CSX Conductor

Pacobell73 wrote:Also, I spotted a website containing current photos of the line between Yarmouth and South Dennis. Could anyone link me up to it? Can't seem to find it on Google. :-)
Was it NERAIL?

by CSX Engineer 98

New England rail its a place that people post pictures

http://photos.nerail.org/byrailroad/
Last edited by CSX Engineer 98 on Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by CSX Engineer 98

Pacobell73 wrote:Does anyone know what is to become of the outer end of the line between Yarmouth and South Dennis (Rt. 134)? The grade crossings have been gutted, so no trains can really use the line east of the junction to Hyannis. I have heard that---ichh :( ---the Cape Cod Rail Trail may be extended westward.

Also, I spotted a website containing current photos of the line between Yarmouth and South Dennis. Could anyone link me up to it? Can't seem to find it on Google. :-)
I dont know how long its been since you have been around But the tracks now end at Union street in South Yarmouth. 100 yards or so west is the transfer station that the Bay Colony reports to M-Sat for the trash train. As for the remainder of the track I haven't heard anything about extension of the Bike Path....? the Bass River Bridge would be a safety Issue for sure.

by BayColony1706

A few months ago, i saw the Town of Dennis DPW clearing the brush on the ROW.. I inquired at the town clerk's office as to what was going to happen. The woman there informed me that they were clearing it for walking acess, and that the bike trail extention wasn't true, atleast for now.

by CSX Engineer 98

BayColony1706 wrote:A few months ago, i saw the Town of Dennis DPW clearing the brush on the ROW.. I inquired at the town clerk's office as to what was going to happen. The woman there informed me that they were clearing it for walking acess, and that the bike trail extention wasn't true, atleast for now.
Well for years now the DY high school uses the right away as a Jogging Path

by atlantis

I think the new owners would love to run restored passenger service between the Boston area and the Cape.
It's the state that's not giving it support, perhaps to protect parochial interests IMHO. I now live within walking distance of the wasted Buzzards Bay station and could easily walk to the station for any rail service.
About a month ago, there was transportation meeting at Mass Maritime Academy, and nothing was mentioned about rail service. The meeting ran over time and was adjourned before I could make my comments. Basically, the meeting agenda was rehashing the Cape's all-bus transportation system and how more buses on the Cape's overcrowded roads was seen as the answer for our transportation problems that our existing all-bus trasportation monopoly has failed to solve.
Look for some signs to appear at the wasted Buzzards Bay and perhaps the wasted Falmouth station on how our tax dollars were spent to build rail platforms at those locations and how they are not being used for trains. Special "thanks" to the Cape Cod Commission, Governor Romney, Eric Turkington, and the elitists of West Falmouth who oppose the return of a PRE-EXISTING rail service. :P
A point to note: Those who oppose rail service have failed to produce even anecdotal evidence that rail service has harmed any community! :wink:

by Pacobell73

CSX Engineer 98 wrote:I dont know how long its been since you have been around, but the tracks now end at Union street in South Yarmouth. 100 yards or so west is the transfer station that the Bay Colony reports to M-Sat for the trash train.
I was on the Cape this past Memorial Day weekend. I drove over the former Station Ave grade crossing (near Exit 8 on Rt. 6) when I saw the tracks removed from the street.

by CSX Engineer 98

Yep that sad...When I was a kid I used to watch Penn Central, Conrail, and Bay Colony switch the Mid Cape center. and its Bay Colonys attitude upon Destroying the unloading Dock at Mid Cape Center that shut down service for good...and People think its the Bass River Bridge which Bay Colony used as an Excuse to cease operation and any further Upgrade of the Spur.