• Today's CSX Sightings

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Favorite railroad?

CSX
44%
Candian National
11%
NS
33%
UP
No votes
0%
BNSF
11%
  by nick_anshant

I'm just wondering what kind of trains people see on a day to day basis.

This morning, Novemeber 20, I saw Q173 in Chester, PA with 2 CSX SD70MACs and a UP 4210. Then Q370 with a CSX SD70MAC and two ex-Conrail units, 6716 and 4404.

I then heard a W808 on the radio but i did not see this train. Has anyone ever seen or even heard of this train before.

What have you seen??
  by Noel Weaver

nick_anshant wrote:I'm just wondering what kind of trains people see on a day to day basis.

This morning, Novemeber 20, I saw Q173 in Chester, PA with 2 CSX SD70MACs and a UP 4210. Then Q370 with a CSX SD70MAC and two ex-Conrail units, 6716 and 4404.

I then heard a W808 on the radio but i did not see this train. Has anyone ever seen or even heard of this train before.

What have you seen??
NONE OF THE ABOVE
CSX is not a big time operator in my neck of the woods and I seldom see
the others.
Noel Weaver

by mu26aeh

I saw a PPL coal drag with 2 CSX widecabs on the lead yesterday in Greencastle, PA. Funny thing is this is a NS main line. Also in Hagerstown, MD twice in last two weeks, NS lines are stacked with trains while the CSX lines are empty, no trains on either visit.
  by CSX Conductor

nick_anshant wrote: I then heard a W808 on the radio but i did not see this train. Has anyone ever seen or even heard of this train before.
Any train with a "W" symbol is a work train. Sometimes the W designation is used for a movement of a dimension train or sometimes even an office car special or inspection train.

by AmtrakFan

Well their was no CSX when I was out on BNSF but I saw a ton of NS.

AmtrakFan

by nick_anshant

I went out again in Philadelphia on November 20, and saw BNSF lead NS train 39G out of Camden, CSX Q438 with two dark futures, CSX Q190 in push-pull service, CSX E747 with ex-Conrail SD70MAC, and CSX K277 with 2 dark future units and no more than 20 trash cars. All of this was at CP Belmont in Philadelphia.

by roadster

the w808 is a DOD mty flats train.

by trainfreak

I railfan CSX regularly and just my luck i only see CSX power ranging from bright futures to dark futures and the occasional blue ex Conrail unit. My luck did change yesterday when i saw an intermodal with 2 BNSF pumpkins leading CSX unit. Of course i didnt see any other trains yesterday morning.

by nick_anshant

Thanks for the W808 info. That's great that CSX is having foreign power on it's intermodal trains. That is the hardest thing to see.

by AmtrakFan

We have a CSX Grain Trian on Sat. along the BNSF line plus we do get a little CSX Power but we did get an AC6000CW once. Plus we get a Bi-Weekly CN Freight plus our other 160 + Trains.

John

by SRS125

I see a lot of UP Trains in NY there are some days you wonder who rilly owns the line with the number of UP Locomotives seen in one day. The largest number of locos seen in 5 hours of railfaning was 15 UP Locos!!

by CSX Conductor

SRS125 wrote:I see a lot of UP Trains in NY there are some days you wonder who rilly owns the line with the number of UP Locomotives seen in one day. The largest number of locos seen in 5 hours of railfaning was 15 UP Locos!!
The power is 'run-through' from the interchange point with the UP, simply to reduce delays. :-)

by charlie6017

CSX Conductor wrote: The power is 'run-through' from the interchange point with the UP, simply to reduce delays. :-)
That's right............people along the UP line may wonder why they see so many CSX locomotives as well.

by SRS125

I know its run through power I'm not stupid. I'm just reporting that I see a lot of there power passing by on some days and outher times none at all. Most of the power that I have seen is mostley on high speed TV Trains witha few on general fraghts.

by Lehigh Valley Railroad

CSX - NS - CR