• TO ALL ENGINEERS!! TURN IN YOUR TRAINING CARDS!

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by wsp871

[/b]

TO ALL ENGINEERS!! TURN IN YOUR TRAINING CARDS! ALL THE ENGINEERS ON THE ALABAMA DIV., NS ARE TURNING IN THEIR TRAINING (COACHING CARDS) IN PROTEST OF THE REMOTE CONTROL ENGINES BEING USED. JOIN US ALL... ALL OVER THE NATION ON ALL RAILROADS! WE ARE OUT TO PROTECT OUR JOBS AND THE FUTURE JOBS OF OUR BROTHERS AND SISTERS! THEY KEEP TAKING AND TAKING AND TAKING! LET'S GET TOGETHER AND TAKE OUR JOBS BACK!

THEY ARE EVEN BRINGING IN ROAD FOREMEN FROM ACROSS THE SYSTEM TO QUALIFIY THE LET's. NOW HOW SCARY IS THAT! HAVING ROAD FOREMEN THAT HAVE NEVER SEEN THIS PART OF THE RR TO QUALIFIY THESE GUYS!

by washingtonsecondary

Might want to take off the caps lock key.

You don't have to yell..

by UPRR engineer

Training cards??? NS thing i guess.

by wsp871

yeah.. if we want to train LETs (locomotive engineer trainees) we have to watch a video and then they give us a card.

We did have a victory in removing the RCLs off the hump! Not to mention they could not shove more than 6000 tons without shutting down. They would put an engineer on the same hump set, put it manual control and then hump with no problems.

by washingtonsecondary

wsp871 wrote:put it manual control and then hump with no problems.
LOL

by closetotracks

Are there remote control trains now driven by computer no train crew? I would think there has to be a train crew in case an emergency arises and something malfuncitions. Be a lot safer.

by wsp871

All trains have an engineer and conductor. Some have a 3 man crew. The major RR's are trying to get the crews reduced to a one man crew. They are looking at it being more cost effective. Which is the same reason they are using the remote control engines. They are finding out that it is costing them more with a one man crew b/c of the slower times building trains. As well as the cost of the damaged equiptment in accidents around the yards. These remotes don't have rules to follow from the FRA, rather suggestions.

by USRailFan

closetotracks wrote:Are there remote control trains now driven by computer no train crew? I would think there has to be a train crew in case an emergency arises and something malfuncitions. Be a lot safer.
Don't know about the USA, but in Europe, remote control means that the engineer is walking alongside the locomotive, controlling it via a remote control unit around his waist, rather than sitting in the cab of the locomotive. This often gives him better visibility in a large yard, than what he'd have from the cab. It also means he can couple/uncouple cars himself (Europe still largely use chain couplers).

by wsp871

Two sets of eyes are better than one.

by NSPeon

wsp871 wrote:yeah.. if we want to train LETs (locomotive engineer trainees) we have to watch a video and then they give us a card.

We did have a victory in removing the RCLs off the hump! Not to mention they could not shove more than 6000 tons without shutting down. They would put an engineer on the same hump set, put it manual control and then hump with no problems.
I didn't get a card......I did have to watch a video, that was it......