• Thread For Posting Heritage Unit Locations

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by peanut1

Here is the photo I was talking about. It's in the attached file. I hope it opens.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Matt Johnson

Yep, that's definitely Phila 30th Street. The vertical pillars with the horizontal bar running through them give it away!
  by peanut1

I guess the description of the picture is wrong then. =)
  by justmejie

strench707 wrote:
hi55us wrote:Is this at the Bear Shops? Looks cool!
Beech Grove, IN.

Word is they are making a heritage train that will go around to all of the terminals in the system. There's also word that they're gonna fire up some F40s but we'll have to wait and see. :P

Davis

if this is true i wonder what station said train will be at for national train day? If finances allow im going to go to Washington Dc to celebrate
  by R36 Combine Coach

Amtrak7 wrote:It would be cool to see an AEM7 repainted into an older scheme as well, share the fun on the NEC!
There are two already. Just fix up 922 or 930.
  by GWoodle

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=555625

The pictures are nearly a year old but I understand NERR #381 should be available for sale. The rebuilding of MCS #120 was completed about the same time as the 2 units now on Metra.
There may be pictures of #381 in California pulling an Amtrak train before the newer F's arrived.
  by mtuandrew

I'd be very surprised if Amtrak didn't already have its equipment picked out, probably from its own stored equipment rather than something with another owner. The P40 we've tentatively identified, and there are a number of F40PHs still on Amtrak property. For that matter, they might be pulling a fast one and painting an F40 NPCU in Phase III paint, though that's less likely since this is an employee special.
  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: Interesting information about Amtrak's possible reintroduction of the pointless arrow logo and color scheme for Amtrak's 40th Anniversary...

I never liked the logo or color scheme that was introduced back in 2000...if this is true I am looking forward to the change...

I do agree that the Phase 3 color scheme is perhaps Amtrak's most recognized color scheme and to celebrate the 40th Anniversary
"going retro" can be a welcome change...as mentioned "Back to the Future"...

That special Amtrak train that will tour the system beginning in May will be quite interesting...they are using the right equipment
in that special train tour...even though I would seek and find at least 5 Heritage Fleet cars that Amtrak has perhaps used from Day One back in May 1971 if the choice was up to me...

This will be quite interesting to see how things unfold today in 2011...MACTRAXX
  by Mcoov

atsf sp wrote:90219, 90222, and 90368 are still in Phase III. But they are dirty.
They don't look that bad. Nothing a good scrubbing cannot fix!
  by justmejie

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentSe ... 1267284550

thats a link to the media section on amtraks website where you can read Amtrak Ink the employee news letter and the December 2010/Jan 2011 issue confrims that one f40 and one p40 are among a total of 4 engines being redone for the anniversary special
  by jp1822

A former Amtrak Heritage Coach sits just east of NYP (before the Hudson River portals). It's a former Adirondack coach that was restored for service in the late 1990s to early 2000's and is now in MOW service. There may be another car like it in MOW service roaming around on the corridor as well. I think its actually a former PRR coach from the Congressional and even used on Amtrak Clocker trains.
  by andre

jp1822 wrote:A former Amtrak Heritage Coach sits just east of NYP (before the Hudson River portals). It's a former Adirondack coach that was restored for service in the late 1990s to early 2000's and is now in MOW service. There may be another car like it in MOW service roaming around on the corridor as well. I think its actually a former PRR coach from the Congressional and even used on Amtrak Clocker trains.
i believe this is the coach you speak of

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5 ... 0479840876
  by jp1822

andre wrote:
jp1822 wrote:A former Amtrak Heritage Coach sits just east of NYP (before the Hudson River portals). It's a former Adirondack coach that was restored for service in the late 1990s to early 2000's and is now in MOW service. There may be another car like it in MOW service roaming around on the corridor as well. I think its actually a former PRR coach from the Congressional and even used on Amtrak Clocker trains.
i believe this is the coach you speak of

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5 ... 0479840876
That would be the one! Was parked there today, just like it has been for quite some time now! Used in MOW service. Curious as to what the interior looks like now. When Amtrak overhauled these cars for the Adirondack (and also the Ethan Allen Express), they had a pretty nice interior with the newer Superliner II seats (at the time). They lacked of course at-seat power outlets (the only major drawback for the long journey on the Adirondack train). However, two battery packs for my laptop often got me through whatever I needed for the journey.

Of course, the large windows were much appreciated for the scenic trip up the Hudson River and on the Adirondack to Montreal (along Lake Champlain etc.). I was actually disappointed to see these cars go. Even if three were held for "lounge service" on the Adirondack (for one train set each and one as a reserve). The actual "Heritage Lounge Car" was the first to be eliminated in the "Congo Consist" for the Adirondack. If these cars did become "lounge cars" of some sort, seating could have been done a little bit differently (ala the original Metroliner First Class/Parlor one seat swivel chairs. Amtrak still has to maintain these cars to some degree for MOW service. Yet Amtrak was on a crusade it seemed by 2004 to have these types of Heritage coaches retired! You can still see the Adirondack service logo near the exterior vestibule end of the car!
  by MEC407

AMTK 145 has been painted in a new, Phase III-inspired livery. Note this is a P42, not a P40.

Photos by Andy Beckort:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2386222

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2386225