• Thread For Posting Heritage Unit Locations

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by andre

oh darn and just when i finaly finished painting all my HO gennies for phV!!!! ;-)

I think its a great thing for amtrak to show its past colors over the years, many local transit agencies do the very same. Amtrak has now been around long enough that they can do this. Good for them,

Will the heritage train tour only amtrak terminals or would it also make stops at railroad museums that are willing to be an event host?
  by strench707

I don't think there's been anything official yet but I'd hazard a guess getting into February is when some preliminary announcements made. Until then we'll just have to keep looking out for more teaser photos!

Davis
  by Otto Vondrak

strench707 wrote:Word is they are making a heritage train that will go around to all of the terminals in the system. There's also word that they're gonna fire up some F40s but we'll have to wait and see. :P

Davis
Word from who? This all sounds interesting...
  by Matt Johnson

How much work and expense would be involved in "firing up" a stored F40? And if it's possible, why not fire up a Turboliner?!
  by DutchRailnut

around $200 000 per engine as for turbo liners a lost cause
  by Matt Johnson

DutchRailnut wrote:around $200 000 per engine as for turbo liners a lost cause
So, a pretty major expense for just a publicity run, unless they have some long term use for or a buyer for said F40's.
  by DutchRailnut

correct and therefore I say the F40 stuff is just a rumor.
  by BigLou80

DutchRailnut wrote:correct and therefore I say the F40 stuff is just a rumor.
If they were not planning on using whats the point in storing them ? why not just send them out for scrap ? some one some where thinks there were worth keeping around to use again some day.
  by KillerB

That is too cool! Personally I'd like to see them go to that look, as I think it really suits the lines of the Genesis locomotives.
  by DutchRailnut

BigLou80 wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:correct and therefore I say the F40 stuff is just a rumor.
If they were not planning on using whats the point in storing them ? why not just send them out for scrap ? some one some where thinks there were worth keeping around to use again some day.
spare cabage cars ?? there are only a few F40's left
  by Tadman

Most of the better F40's have been leased out or sold - AMT, Metra, CN/Skitrain, Railworld, Metrolink, etc... all have a few.

Ironic that our tourist pikes all use Via's old FP9's while AMT and ACR use our old F40's.
  by Otto Vondrak

We certainly are getting whipped up into a frenzy! Where is all of this info coming from?

-otto-
  by Jersey_Mike

Shame there isn't an active F40 in Amtrak colours owned by some tourist railroad. I guess that the old Screaming Thunderboxes in Phase 3 don't have the same panache as an E8 in PRR colors.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Otto Vondrak wrote:We certainly are getting whipped up into a frenzy! Where is all of this info coming from?
Otto, I'd dare say that photo submitted at the opening posting is pretty strong evidence that Amtrak is adapting a new livery for at least one engine.

Now what I am starting to wonder if this is going to be a complete image overhaul (which I, and even though no one else agrees with me, think is a complete waste and could well result in Amtrak again being on the wrong wend of a Rep. Mica (R-FL7) "buck burning' charade) is this a complete or are they simply repainting a few units in some kind of "our Heritage" stunt in which both Class I's and airlines have engaged.

Still a waste; but at least not on as grand a scale as the whole fleet.
  by HBLR

I would say that painting airliners is way more expensive than a locomotive, and airlines have regularly done all kinds of wild and interesting liveries on their aircraft.

http://www.ridelust.com/wp-content/uplo ... nental.jpg

One way to get butts in seats is to appeal to people's sense of nostalgia, adventure and their imagination. I think they should do this kind of thing more often, I mean hell it's America's railroad, why not show your patriotism by riding more often? Just saying!