• They Be Playing With Tenders Again!

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Paul

I just love this photograph of my favorite LIRR G5s. She looks a little rough but wonderfull non the less. I find it interesting that #21 has the smaller 70P85 tender this late in her career. Question: Did LIRR still have some of the leased PRR G5s on hand in 1948?

Photo by Ed Whittekind.
Thanks to Ed for permission to post this picture.

by Richard Glueck

Note the tender is labeled for the LIRR. I have noticed a number of G5 shots with the smaller tenders. I know that several tracks at Morris Park had surplus tenders on them, possibly while the loco was being serviced. It could well be that the larger tender was being modified or serviced at the time this was taken. Send me an email with this picture, please. One of the best LIRR steam shots I've ever seen.
PRR G's were still assigned to us up until the early 50's.

Dick

by RRChef

Well, it's certainly the best color steam photo of LIRR that I have seen. Where was this photo taken? My guess is Oyster Bay but I'm not sure. I tend to agree about the low tender being a spare. Look at the weathering patterns on the tender and the loco. They don't match.

by Paul

PRR and LIRR locomotives were not marked for their ownership except on the tender sides. If say PRR K-4s # 1365 had tender problems and they switched out the tender from LIRR G-5s #50, the it would be considered "LIRR 1365" for train order and dispatch requirements. The first batch of G-5s delivered to LIRR were equiped with the smaller 70P85 tender. The rest came from Juniata with the larger (ex M-1) 110P85a tenders. These now surplus tenders may have been kept around for changes in service requirements, how ever as penny pinching PRR was then it would be safe to bet they were shipped back to Juniata for use on the PRR's fleet of G-5s. There is a photo of a PRR K4 on Long Island (not sure where it is) using the smaller capacity 70P85 tender. I am curious about how dificult it must have been to fire the K-4 as there is a differance on 15 inches in deck hight between the K-4 and G-5!

by Dave Keller

RR Chef: The photo is most definitely taken at Oyster Bay.

Paul: Great Shot! The color dyes have held up very well over the years!

Dave Keller