Railroad Forums 

• These Night Shots are Killing Me!

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#1602358  by l008com

I recently got a new iPhone 11. It takes impressively good night time photos. It's amazing. Note that you can even see some STARS in the sky in the sample pic below! It's very impressive. HOWEVER, it's ability to take night time videos is significantly lacking.

This is a problem because I have a train video youtube channel. The stills are helpful for making thumbnails but what good is a thumbnail if you literally can't see the train in the video! The stills are significantly brighter than the real life light level but the videos are significantly darker. Basically pitch black.

Sadly, getting a new phone won't be on the table for years.
Also most of the opportunities I have for train shooting are at night and that also can't be changed.
The LED lighting at train stations makes for some amazingly well lit videos. But anywhere else and it's more of a soundtrack than a video.

Overall though, it is nice how the cameras keep getting better and better. You should see how bad the still photos were 5-10 years ago. And videos weren't even an option. So I guess it could be worse. It's just frustrating. I'm ahead of my time!

Same location, same direction, same lighting, seconds apart. The dark one is a capture from a video. The light one is a still photo.