• The Weekend Chief NYC Calendar

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by MACTRAXX

Railroaded:

The owner/publisher of the Weekend Chief railroad calendars was the late John J. Scala who passed away in
November 2013...He was a well known rail photographer and book author - "Diesels of the Sunrise Trail" about
the Long Island Rail Road's locomotive history was a prime example...

What I feel you should do is get in touch with someone that has kept multiple years of the New York Central
calendars published by the Weekend Chief Publishing Company and have them try to find which month and
year that this picture was used...

In some instances a certain WC calendar was published each year in co-operation with a railroad enthusiast
group such as the Long Island Rail Road calendar that the Long Island Sunrise Trail Chapter - NRHS would
offer for sale...Find out if the WC NYC System calendar was co-sponsored in a similar way...

Hope that this information and suggestions help you in this matter...

MACTRAXX
  by Railroaded

I was hoping someone here had it & can tell me what year. I saw it at a train show & should have bought it on the spot but I didn't recognize it as Buffalo. Came home & someone had posted that photo on Facebook with a description of where it was shot & now I'm kicking myself.
  by RedbirdR33

Railroaded I was able to locate the picture. It is on the bottom of page 107 of "New York Central Color Pictorial, Volume 4 " by David R. Sweetland. According to the text it was taken at Frontier Yard on May 20, 1967.

Larry, RedbirdR33