• The Type 8 Discussion to End All Discussions(Type 8 tracker)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Robert Paniagua

Well, I guess I can revive this thread, because I picked up another T8 for the first time in ages!

Last night, 06/7, I got 3868, second of two cars with 3823 out of GC till Park. ASA was fine, ride was smooth albeit crowded conditions. Then that was followed by 01821 on the redline, see 01800 tracker thread for that.

by jwhite07

There are now as many Type 8s in service as there are Boeing LRVs... 34 of each!

by MBTAFan

Saw many more type 8's in service today on the C line. I also saw several consists of Type 8s running out to Reservoir on the C line late last night, all out of service with their lights off. I noticed 3609 (converted type 7) and a type 8 trainlined together in service today as well on the C line - it did a few runs during the day. I always enjoy hearing the hum of the type 8 AC propulsion - I always notice when they're coming. :D

by Robert Paniagua

Nice! Glad to see that more M8's are outnumbering the "what-would-have been Type 6 cars" oka Boeings. Im still wondering if we are gonna have 90 % Type 8 operation with T7's soon, and no Boeings. That's if everything goes well of course.

by MBTAFan

jwhite07 wrote:There are now as many Type 8s in service as there are Boeing LRVs... 34 of each!
As of today, the NETransit vehicle inventory shows 35 active type 8's, 34 active boeings! There are officially more type 8's in service! I never thought I'd see the day!

by Robert Paniagua

Last night, 06/15, I once again picked up 3868, out of GCT till Park. ASA was fine again, ride was smooth and A/C was fine too.

by jack615

I have been riding the Subway more lately and it definately seems like there are more type 8s out there, because I see them more and more. I finally got to ride one myself last month on the B Line. Are there other lines where the 8s are in service now?

Jack

by MBTAFan

jack615 wrote:I have been riding the Subway more lately and it definately seems like there are more type 8s out there, because I see them more and more. I finally got to ride one myself last month on the B Line. Are there other lines where the 8s are in service now?

Jack
I think that they're only in service on the B and C lines. I heard they were testing them on the D again as well.

To my knowledge they have never even tested the Type 8's on the E line yet. Anyone ever see a Type 8 on the E? It's a shame since they've just spent the last 2-3 years upgrading all of the platforms from NU-Brigham Circle.

by Robert Paniagua

Not that I know of, MBTAFan.

Now, speaking of their predecessor Boeings, does anyone here know when a "last revenue run" date is set for the Boeings?

The 01400s, AFATC was last run on Dec 12, 1994. Hoepfully the Boeing last revenue run will be no later than the end of this calendar year.

by jwhite07

Type 8s have indeed tested over the E line.

I do not believe they have ever run in revenue service there.

by MBTAFan

Since the North Station changeover, the C line has been solid Type 8's since. Literally 95% of service is Type 8s and Type 8 compatible Type 7s. If you want a preview of what the green line service will look like in 3 years, check out the C line!

by Robert Paniagua

Oh good, glad they are getting some M8s also. Now if the D and E can get them, but it won't be for a while, after the DTE gives the T approval to run the M8s past GCT.

Although the B has a few 8s already.

Now, how many T8s are active right now vs Boeings?

by jwhite07

Still 35 Type 8s, 34 Boeings. Type 8 acceptance has been very slow this year... there are six at Riverside that have been undergoing testing for quite a while now, but they're certainly not being given a thumbs up very quickly.

The number of Boeings hasn't gone down too fast, either, as a result. I think the last time a Boeing was taken out of service and stored was sometime late last year.

by fm535

As of 17:30 this evening, Nettransit is reporting 36 Type 8's and 33 LRV's. Such good news!

by jwhite07

The newest addition to the Type 8 fleet is 3875. I managed to see it in service this evening, looking rather shiny-new.

There are sufficient Type 8 to provide nearly all of the service on the Beacon Street line, where they are (currently) exclusively operated on.

With 3875's acceptance, the number of active Boeing LRVs has gone down by one. Apparently we're beginning to see one-for-one replacement of accepted Type 8s for active Boeings. Only 33 Boeings left - get yer pictures (if you dare) now, while you can!