Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by SlowFreight

c604. wrote:It isn't the best angle but try this:

http://www.irm.org/gallery/cnw411paintproj/add
Jackpot!!! If I can't do it from these shots, I'll just quit modeling! Don't know how I missed this section, cuz I'd even queried the IRM website this weekend and came up empty. ....

Thanks, c604!

by byte

Looks like you get a "bonus" BN E9 in the background, too. So if you want to model one of those as well ... you can use the same picture. :-)

by SlowFreight

I already have enough projects queued up. I don't need MORE work! :-D

by doepack

Note: Forwarded message follows...

The METX 305 F7A finally left the Illinois Railway Museum today (Thursday, 6/1 along with NIWX 815), destined for the WSOR at Horicon, Wisconsin, by way of Belvidere, Rockford, Beloit, and Janesville. Once it arrives, it will be sandblasted, primed and painted back to Chicago & Northwestern 411. This past winter and spring, IRM volunteers were busy installing new HEP radiators, repairing a lot of bad steel around the entire body, and some general prep work for the upcoming paint job.

Hopefully, it won't be too much longer before the restored 411 returns to IRM...

by Scotty Burkhardt

NIWX 815???

by byte

That's a GP30 IRM had laying around that they were storing for a leasing firm. Either they needed it moved elsewhere and merely used the same UP move to take it out, or it's also going to the WSOR shops for heavy repairs.

by MikeF

Both locomotives arrived in Janesville, Wis., via the IC&E this morning. They'll go to Horicon via WSOR sometime in the next day or two.

by CNW5022-A519

Glad to see that the 411 made it up there I am looking forward to seeing it back in CNW colors, I do feel glad since I was one of the Many that did the throttle pull to get it repainted. she will look great with the Bilevels in her CNW colors.

by CNW5022-A519

Saw 411 alot on the North Line and the other Lines on the CNW I hope they know their stuff in Horicon

by doepack

More info on the heritage of NIWX 815, among others, can be found here:

http://www.nilwirailway.com/

by byte

I'd guess this is a "no" at this point but I'll ask anyway - does anyone know if the 411 is scheduled to be back at IRM in time to pull the commuter train this upcoming Chicago Weekend at the museum? And if not, which locomotive will be pulling it (if the train is in service)?

Also, an off-topic (for this forum forum) about the museum but related to the above - does anyone know if the CTA 6000s and/or 1-50s will be running this Sunday? I'll be up there this Sunday and was wondering if anyone knew how the rolling stock schedule was set up. I know the PCCs usually run on Saturdays and the 4000s on Sundays on non-special event weekends, but since this is a special event it seems like it might differ.

Thanks!

by MikeF

Since no one else has posted this yet ...

C&NW 411 (not yet complete at this time) and IRM's three ex-C&NW bilevels will be on display with Union Pacific C&NW heritage SD70 1995 at Ogilvie Transportation Center on Saturday, July 15. This event will be for UP employees only but there may be a chance for the public to get close enough to take pictures.

Sometime between Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning, the UP 1995 will lead the 411 and the bilevels to IRM via the UP Geneva and Belvidere subs. The UP 1995 will probably be on public display all day, while the bilevel train will be operating for IRM's Diesel Days.

by c604.

That has been called off. As for the Herritage unit being at the museum on Sunday I don't know but the bi-levels are staying at the museum this weekend (running with the BN-3) because the 411 still isn't finished yet.