• The "CHIN" C&O of Indiana

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

by Throttle_JCKY

email this morning revealed the new railroad that will operate the former C&O of Indiana and PM lines -North Judson-Malden-Wellsboro.
It will be the Chesapeake and Indiana "CHIN".
this was just in an email, haven't seen anything that makes it 100%, but it sounds good enough.

by kr4bd

:) This is apparently OFFICIAL. I have a good friend at the Museum in North Judson and he confirmed all this to me yesterday in a ham radio conversation I had with him. The Chesapeake and Indiana will, indeed, use the reporting marks of CHIN. The shortline expects to have about 1000 carloads of business in its first year mainly from grain elevators and a fertilizer plant on the line.

Tom, KR4BD
Lexington, KY

by HBTM M-39

Any new information on CHIN's startup? Haven't heard much of anything since the word came out that the line was being sold.

Thanks!

by kr4bd

:-) I'm down here in Central Kentucky, so I don't have the latest info on this. I did talk to my friend in LaPorte, IN via amateur radio last night. He says the CHIN has started operations and has had some business already from a grain elevator and a fertilizer plant along the line. I recently joined the Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum ($15 year) and get a newsletter which will have news on the CHIN from time-to-time. My friend is very active at the HVRM at North Judson. I try to hook up with him on Monday evenings at 7 PM Eastern time on 3930 (+/-) kHz LSB. If you are a General Class or higher ham, feel free to join us on the radio on Monday evenings. Railroading is not all we talk about, but it is always included in the conversation.

by kr4bd

For more information on the Chesapeake and Indiana, check out the website of the Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum at:

http://hvrm.railfan.net

Go to the News button and you will find a lot of interesting info on the new shortline.

Also, the reporting marks are CKIN, not CHIN as has been previously reported by me, and others...

by HBTM M-39

Thanks for the link and the info. I'm not an amateur radio operator, but appreciate the offer anyways!

I seriously considered joining HVRM when I lived in Warsaw, IN for a few years. North Judson was such a fascinating place. Now I'm back in PA, and try to keep up on the happenings out there.

Thanks again!

by Throttle_JCKY

From current reports, CKIN is getting its second unit anyday now, delievery via CSX at Wellsboro.
From what I have heard, operations are a "as needed" deal, which is understandable for the time being, until a larger traffic base is established.

by MR77100

Does Powell Felix, former founder of Indiana Hi-Rail, actually own the CKIN?
  by LJ

Powell Felix just leases the C & I R.R. from the city of North Judson, In. He has a five year lease with them. We are in the third year of operations.