• The Original Breda 3000 series cars are fading into the dust

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by jerryinva

This is the device I was speaking of. Any ideas what it is?

by Sand Box John

Oren, Jerry,

I am clueless as to what they are or what function they may perform.

I reviewed a couple of the video clips at youtube.com, they don’t appear at the same location on the various series of cars.

by polybalt

I reviewed a couple of the video clips at youtube.com, they don’t appear at the same location on the various series of cars.
Are they always at the center door? If so could it be an audio warning device for the visually impaired?

ADA requires physical barriers between rapid transit cars, like the pantograph gate arrangements in New York. This is to protect individuals who mistake the gap between cars as a doorway and fall through to the tracks.

I know Baltimore was able to opt out of that requirement in the early '80s by putting "beepers" above the center door. The idea being that the blind person would head for the closest beeper and would never pass a intercar gap before reaching a door.

Pete Schmidt

by WMATAGMOAGH

polybalt wrote:

Are they always at the center door? If so could it be an audio warning device for the visually impaired?

ADA requires physical barriers between rapid transit cars, like the pantograph gate arrangements in New York. This is to protect individuals who mistake the gap between cars as a doorway and fall through to the tracks.

I know Baltimore was able to opt out of that requirement in the early '80s by putting "beepers" above the center door. The idea being that the blind person would head for the closest beeper and would never pass a intercar gap before reaching a door.

Pete Schmidt
They are above the center door on some cars, but on all doors on other cars.

by jerryinva

My HTML and photo posting skills stink... but, that one I snapped was over the last door of the car.

I was wondering if it was, either, supposed to be an external light, like the buses have... Or some sort of sensor....

by Sand Box John

"jerryinva"
My HTML and photo posting skills stink... but, that one I snapped was over the last door of the car.

The reason why you image was not rendered was because the file name in the URL did not have a file extension (jpg). Posting the full URL including the http:// without the YBB code will automatically be rendered as a clickable link.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9603472@N02/2492892653
or
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3269/249 ... bd.jpg?v=0

I was wondering if it was, either, supposed to be an external light, like the buses have... Or some sort of sensor....

I looked at a couple video clips that Oren has posted at youtube of 1k cars. In both of those clips they were over the end doors. Cab side, door behind cab, blind end on the other car in the pair.
  by WMATAGMOAGH

hardyboyz1999 wrote:How do you know that cars 3288/89 are the newest 3000-series cars and what month of what year did they enter service?
The general assumption is the cars are made and delivered in numerical order, though it isn't always the case, so it can be assumed that 3288/3289 were the last 3000 Series Breda cars produced. An example of an exception would be that 1001 was the first WMATA car on the property, not 1000. The Rehabs were not done in numerical order, but the 2000s were done before the 3000s. 3290 and 3291 were assigned to the survivors of the Shady Grove 1996 collision, and since their original numbers were lower than 3288, it can be assumed they came first. According to The Story of Metro, the last of the 3000 Series cars was delivered in June 1988.